Peacock TV drops their free option

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN

Peacock no longer offers a free tier. Now if you want to signup, you need to pay for the Premium $4.99 plan or the Premium Plus $9.99 plan.

According to the most recent numbers, Peacock has just 20 million paying customers with 30 million total active users, including its free accounts. That compares to 46 million subscribers to Paramount+, 73.7 million Disney+ subscribers, and 39.4 million Hulu subscribers.

Reactions: ncted
I said this was going to happen months ago, next step is those Comcast Subscribers getting it for free, making them pay.

There really wasn't much on their free portion anymore. 1 or 2 episodes of a show to get you to upgrade
Just like alot of the streaming services.

Reactions: Jimbo
They still give their cable subscribers free access
That will go away soon enough, with advertising down right now, it is a good way to make new revenue.

There really wasn't much on their free portion anymore. 1 or 2 episodes of a show to get you to upgrade
Just like alot of the streaming services.
Peacock's free tier has quite a bit of older TV series (e.g. Murder, She Wrote, Columbo, Sanford & Son, etc.), plus quite a few movies too. But then some of that same stuff can be found on other free apps like Tubi.

I suspect Comcast is pulling back from Peacock as a destination for free content because they will soon really start pushing Xumo Play (part of their streaming joint venture with Charter) as their main FAST app. Meanwhile, they are making a play to put some higher-quality original series on Peacock (such as the new Poker Face, which is getting raves from critics), along with lots of live sports, live local NBC stations, new theatrical movies, etc., and really tout it as a quality service worth paying for.

While there was a certain logic to Peacock's launch strategy, including both free and paid tiers, I think it may have muddied the public perception of the service. Paramount has unequivocally stated that they see value in keeping their free content under its own dedicated brand and app, Pluto TV, apart from their paid service Paramount+. So my guess is that Comcast/Universal goes this direction too.

Also, FWIW, I still don't think either Peacock or Paramount+ will survive long-term. One or both will end up merging with something else or die.

I got Peacock for Resident Alien, but we've watched a number of new movies on it as well as older shows we never got around to watching and rewatching some other things. My wife likes it for watching Dateline without commercials as well. We are probably going to check out Poker Face at some point.

There are a few 'Peacock Original' shows I enjoy, The Capture being a recent one. Plan to watch Poker Face when it is available. For me it is free with Xfinity, not sure what I will do if they decide to charge me.

There are a few 'Peacock Original' shows I enjoy, The Capture being a recent one. Plan to watch Poker Face when it is available. For me it is free with Xfinity, not sure what I will do if they decide to charge me.
First 4 or 5 eps of Poker Face are already available. I watched the first ep and it was pretty good. Will watch more.

Among Peacock Originals, I also really enjoyed the comedy Killing It and a couple of mini-series, Dr. Death and The Resort. Comedy series Girls 5 Eva is pretty good (but will be shifting to Netflix for season 3).

I pay for Peacock and i think its worth it. But i paid like $12 for a whole year (the lowest cost plan) during Black Friday sales. If i had to pay full price $4.99 a month i probably would. I think its worth it. I love the extended episodes of "The Office". Anyway, my point is, buy your streaming services during Black Friday. Or maybe my point is Peacock is pretty good. Either way, i stand by my post. lol

Reactions: Mr Tony
Dan Patrick show is on the free version. I didn't see that mentioned in comments. Only reason why I have it. I do have Paramount and Discovery the commercial free options . Only shows I watch on NBC are Chicago PD and the Law and Order shows. Sports are on cband or ku that I'm interested in watching. PFT is unwatchable.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Xfinty subs got a notice about the free Peacock ending for them (but gives them a deal if they subscribe)
Untitled.jpg

Xfinty subs got a notice about the free Peacock ending for them (but gives them a deal if they subscribe)
View attachment 160670
Something else I said was going to happen has come true, here is my post from June 2022 where I said that would be happening in the near future.

When I posted that, the person who gives me info told me this would happen before the end of 2022, so a couple of months later then she thought.

Comcast Customers will no longer get Peacock for free, now since what they get for Ads will go down ( less eyeballs watching), they will need to really start spending to grow the service to attract customers.

By the way, if you go back and look at that post, the usual suspects were telling me I was incorrect.