Peaked 1000.4 through tree

jasonkeithham

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
Bauxite, AR
Check out this pic of my sat. I can't believe the installer got it peaked through a 100 year old oak tree. I wonder how this actually works?

Remarkable if you ask me...

Attachments

• 2012-06-12_17-39-05_79.jpg
    2012-06-12_17-39-05_79.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 356
As garys said you will most likely start having signal issues if the tree is allowed to grow.

LAZY!!!

Yes it works now if you look up at the same angle as the arm that holds the lnb that is the angle of the dish add 15deg and that is where the sats are and could be just coming over those trees.
For a temp mount should be fine but in the long run 1-5 years your looking for problems. it would have been better choice on the over hang where you took your photo.

So is it true that the dish points slightly under the sat and the reflector bounces the signal back to the lnb? It sure looks like its pointed directly into the tree.

Since the LNBs are offset (as opposed to dead center in the dish) then yes the dish is actually looking higher than it may appear to be.

This illustration should explain things:

22-deg-offset.gif

Anyway if it were me I would take advantage of the initial 60-day period and have Dish move the dish to a better location for free.

For zip 720xx the El is 44, AZ is 146 & skew is 65 for the 1k4 dish. 44 is pretty steep and from the looks of the pic the AZ appears to be to the left of the tallest portion of the tree. If you have an android or iPhone & $20 the dish pointer app will show you exactly what kind of clearances you have. Appearances are deceiving, ku signal will not pass through a tree like that, it is definitely over top, by how much is the million $ question.............

Those signals come in higher than you think they do. Most people think the signals come in at the same level that the pan is at but that is not true. I also see a gap in the trees which may help get one or two orbital locations in better than the others. 1000.4 receives 61.5 72.7 and 77 orbital locations (the newer ones receiver only 61.5 and 72.7 depending on your local market). Those satellites (at least at my location) are aimed way up in the sky so those are able to get way above the trees better than 110/119/129.

Thanks for the responses and pictures/illustrations. Unfortunately I have had this set up about a year. I'm hoping the tree is so old that it won't get any taller.
I was just curious as to how it worked. I was practicing my skills at pointing a similar dish for when I go camping and I realized I had no idea how it was going through the tree, but now I realize it's actually going over the tree. Line of sight is everything.

Where we go camping there are quite a few trees so I have an EA and WA LNB so that I have a couple of options if I need them.

Thanks, Jason

That is smart having both EA and WA LNB when you go camping when there are a lot of trees. It gives you a lot more options. Only the MPEG-4 receivers will work with 61/72/77.

The 1000.2 EA uses the 61.5 and 72, and like the other EA only works with HD. And signal levels in the lower states are very low, unlike the 1000.2 WA.
A good idea is to have a DPP Twin and a separate dual LNB in case you can only get the 110/119 sat, and use the 61.5 for the HD . (Just in case) Wing it!
Trees can perversely cover sky for 1 of the three sats, no matter where you position the dish.
Just sayin' :)

Last edited:
The 1000.2 EA uses the 61.5 and 72, and like the other EA only works with HD. And signal levels in the lower states are very low, unlike the 1000.2 WA.
A good idea is to have a DPP Twin and a separate dual LNB in case you can only get the 110/119 sat, and use the 61.5 for the HD . (Just in case) Wing it!
Trees can perversely cover sky for 1 of the three sats, no matter where you position the dish.
Just sayin' :)
If you are trying to add HD to 110/119 when 129 cannot be used, better to use 72 since most HD on EA is on it. Most HD on 61.5 if for local channels anymore.

I use a 1000.2 and wing 61.5 to the extra port since I have MPEG-2/MPEG-4 mixed setup. The 61.5 gives the HD locals.