Peaking a dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elchucko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Full time RVer
I’ve recently read that many people who lack spectrum analyzers and other expensive equipment will carry their receiver and a small TV up on the roof to peak a dish. Initially, I devised a procedure to set up a Dish Network Superdish for 121,119, and 110 that I carry with me in my RV and have to set it up to get my locals and German TV.

I have found that a channel 3 or 4 VHF signal can easily be transmitted through thin speaker wire. So I have a roll of speaker wire about 150 feet long with push-on F connectors on each end that I connect to the TV-out on the receiver and the input on a TV. If I need to peak a dish, I carry a small battery operated 5 inch B/W TV with me on the roof. If the sun is too bright I place the TV in a cardboard tube about 6 inches square by 3 feet long with open ends. I can then see the image well enough to peak the dish. This procedure has the advantage that I am peaking the dish using the same wiring and switches that might affect the signal. Of course the big disadvantage is that I have to go back to the receiver to change transponders.

Chuck

Elchucko said:
I have found that a channel 3 or 4 VHF signal can easily be transmitted through thin speaker wire. So I have a roll of speaker wire about 150 feet long with push-on F connectors on each end that I connect to the TV-out on the receiver and the input on a TV.
Chuck

Never heard anything like that before, but if it works, by all means...:)

My buddy and I have devised almost the same procedure as yours, except we have invested in a good learning Radio Frequency (RF) remote controller to change the TP's from up on the roof.

I peak my dish by:

1) send the receiver output (signal strength screen) to a TV capture card on my desktop

2) bring a laptop outside, which is connected to my home router thru WiFi.

3) use remote desktop to connect the laptop to the desktop

4) on the remote desktop session, bring up WinFast PVR, all the captured video is now on my laptop...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts