Peaking a EA dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gdarwin

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 9, 2005
Lousville, KY
I'm trying to use a SF meter to peak a EA dish. I have the receiver going to port 1 set on 72 transponder 19. The SF meter is on port 2 powered by 2 9 volt batteries. Not having much luck finding 72.

are you doing a switch test each time you lock onto a satellite? Also I would drop the battery trick and connect the receiver to the meter and the dish on the LNB out of the meter.. those batteries will not last very long. Make sure you have all the setting set right for your area @ skew, elevation. Also make sure the mast is 100% plumb.

Didn't do a check switch. Will try that next.

Followed the instructions for using port 2. If I put the meter between LNB and receiver on port one which satellite am I looking for? Instructions say port 1 needs to be powered by the receiver.

Here is what I have now:

ZIp code 402XX Elevation 45 Skew 73

1 2 3 4
Conn 72 Conn X
X OK X X
1K.4 1K.4 1K.4 1K.4
Reception Verified
DPP 1K.4

Signal on 72 green and verified.

Which way do I go from here?

Should be all you have left is to hook up remaining lines and do another checkswitch and let the receiver download then activate.

I've done checkswitch, rebooted the receiver, still can't bring in the other two sats. Getting frustrated right now. Thought this was going to be easy.... Not!

Which port

I've done checkswitch, rebooted the receiver, still can't bring in the other two sats. Getting frustrated right now. Thought this was going to be easy.... Not!

Which port is 72 showing up on ? I needs to be the center of the the 3 for you to be correct. Then the other two need to have the dish skewed correctly to get them. A 3 location dish is not like a 1 or 2 location dish. You have to get best signal possible for the center then skew to get as much SS ont he other 2. It's not as easy as you think.

72 is in the middle.

I have the instructions that came with it. It states - do not adjust the skew after peaking 72. Do I need to play with the skew then peak again?

Place the skew where the instructions tell you to do . Then do not adjust it again. Then follow the instructions line by line until you have all 3 sats up running .

I usually put my meter on port 3. that is the one for 61.5 and is the lowest satellite in the horizon that the 1000.4 sees. (looking from behind the dish, the last satellite you can see to the left). its also a weaker satellite and I think you should try peek on it.

If the instructions for the 1000.4 are the same as the super dish then all they are good for is putting the dish together not finding the settings for az and el and skew. Might be worth it to just have dish come out and tune it in properly.

There is something that this eastern arc dish -1000.4 has ,that doesn't exist on the other western arc dish -1000.2. It is called the azimuth cam . Using a wrench you can slightly adjust it 3 points either left or right to get the maximum peak on both 72 and 77 sats. This one step enables you to get a good final lock on them and then you lock down the side elevation nuts and bolts till it no longer can move. The 61.5 sat is supposed to come in anyway , but you can adjust the azimuth cam to get better strength on this sat as well. If you skip this step , you will not get good signal strengths for the three sats. Now this meant I had to go inside and look at the sat meter on my receiver to make sure that I had maximum strength on 72.7 and 77 and 61.5 sats. It took a bit of work but I got the best strength I could get.

I followed the detailed manual that I gave reference to in post #10 of this thread. I followed it line by line and read it carefully , and I had to start over a few times till I understood and got it right. But in the end it works great. I am not happy with some of the low transponders on the 61.5 sat, but that should be rectified once the new sat goes up in July. Till then, I have made use of my old 1000 sat dish with an triple single lnb holder and plugged it into the in port of my 1000.4 lnb. I peaked it for the best signal I could get for just 61.5 sat. I put aluminum foil over the 61.5 lnb on my eastern arc dish and reran the check switch to include the new dish for just 61.5. I get pretty good strengths on my spot beam for locals now and decent on the rest. More strength than on the eastern arc dish. Until the new sat goes up in July to replace the old sat at 61.5, this will have to do.