Peaking Dish 500 DP Twin or Quad with Birdog

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

R-U-Q-R-U

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Central Florida
There are bits of information scattered amongst the forums on dish peaking. I have a specific question related to using the Birdog meter with a Dish Pro Twin and Quad.

The manual for the Quad says to peak on the 119 satellite using Port 1, then peak the 110 satellite using Port 2.

1. If the dish is plumb and level, with the correct skew and elevation, when peaked on 119 would then peaking 110 change the signal strenght on 119?

2. Any specific tips on using the Birdog with this dish.

Thanks.

Perhaps, but not much. Depending on your location you might find one satellite always has slightly more signal strength than the other. Peak with the weaker satellite and you'll be fine on both. 119 is a bit easier to peak with if you haven't done a lot of installs, we train our new guys to peak on 119. It doesn't really matter which one you use though. As long as your mast is flush and plumb and your skew is set right, when you're peaked on 119, you have good signal on 110.

I have been using a old legacy dual lnb on the 119 side to peak with my birdog and it works great. since 119 is at a lower elevation once I have it the 110 is there. I can say the birdog is a must have. saves time.

One point confusion. The DP Twin and Quad, and the DP Plus Twin see both 110 and 119 on all ports.

So why does the DP manual say to use Port 1 for 119 and Port 2 for 110? Are not both satellites on both ports?

R-U-Q-R-U said:
One point confusion. The DP Twin and Quad, and the DP Plus Twin see both 110 and 119 on all ports.

So why does the DP manual say to use Port 1 for 119 and Port 2 for 110? Are not both satellites on both ports?

Not untill a receiver talks to the built in switch. At which point them the receiver can see both 119 and 110 on both ports. The Twin or quad by itself is just what you said 119 on port 1 and 110 on port 2.

ke4est said:
Not untill a receiver talks to the built in switch. At which point them the receiver can see both 119 and 110 on both ports. The Twin or quad by itself is just what you said 119 on port 1 and 110 on port 2.

Is this true with the DP PLUS Twin. I read elsewhere the Birdog would not work on Port 1. If so, and that is the only LNBF available do you peak the PLUS on 110 (Port 2)?

If you hook your meter up to any port and spin the dish until you get some signal, you can place your hand in front of one eye at a time to see when the signal drops out: that's the eye you're pointing with. Ports 1 and 3 use 119, 2 and 4 use 110. The meter doesn't recognize the switch.

mudder1310 said:
If you hook your meter up to any port and spin the dish until you get some signal, you can place your hand in front of one eye at a time to see when the signal drops out: that's the eye you're pointing with. Ports 1 and 3 use 119, 2 and 4 use 110. The meter doesn't recognize the switch.

Right. I undstand that is the case on a DP Quad or Twin.

BUT: Is this true with a Birdog on DP PLUS TWIN? I read that the Birdog has a problem with Port 1 on the PLUS. Is that the case?

If so on the DP PLUS do you peak -- with Birdog -- on 110 Port 2 only?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts