Pending TNT loss (NPS/G3)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I posted in another thread about CNN loosing a bunch of market share. Knowing this, we can conclude Turner Broadcasting is in NO position to be turning away viewers. A well crafted letter to the general manager referencing the aforementioned report may get them to reconsider their decision to no longer offer C Band signals to the home user.

I am sure its not just CNN loosing market share, there might even be data to show other (Turner owned) networks are also loosing market share.

My two cents any way.

I feel (as I'm sure others do too) that HD ...or the lack of it.... is the main reason. Gotta have my HD now. :D
Personily I don't really see the attraction to HD TV, I love my HD DVDs, but as for TV, I think the stuff I get off of my 4dTV is great, not quite HD, but much better then what my parents get off of pizza.
Terry

....not quite HD, but much better then what my parents get off of pizza.
Terry
Do your parents have HD pizza or lo-def pizza?
There's a big difference.
So much that pretty much the ONLY time I watch anything in SD anymore,
is if it's not available in HD....yet. :)
Some SD sat feeds can be very good though....I wish they'd just broadcast EVERYTHING in 16:9 and ditch the 4:3 stuff altogether. I've actually seen a few news feeds in 16:9 SD and it looks quite good...no "short-wide people" :D

Do your parents have HD pizza or lo-def pizza?
There's a big difference.
So much that pretty much the ONLY time I watch anything in SD anymore,
is if it's not available in HD....yet. :)
Some SD sat feeds can be very good though....I wish they'd just broadcast EVERYTHING in 16:9 and ditch the 4:3 stuff altogether. I've actually seen a few news feeds in 16:9 SD and it looks quite good...no "short-wide people" :D

It's not HD, I think it is "Way lo-def":D they wont pay for the HD stuff, the stuff I get off of cable SD is way better then the SD they get on Pizza, I have never seen Pizza HD but from how bad their SD stuff is I can't imagine there HD stuff is all that great, but like I said I have never seen their HD stuff, only herd about it.
Terry

I have never seen Pizza HD but from how bad their SD stuff is I can't imagine there HD stuff is all that great, but like I said I have never seen their HD stuff, only herd about it.
Terry

Your not missing much, with it's artifacts and softness it's not all that great. They should just can all there SD stuff and run their HD stuff as SD.

So the wife says to me "how much would a commercial subscription cost?" to which I respond by rolling around on the floor!

So then I got to thinking, what would it cost and how would I do it/who would I contact?

I find it difficult to think Turner would let me buy a commercial sub for a grand total of 10 subscribers (including the goldfish) - but it never hurts to ask...I guess!

TIA

I think a commercial subscription may not be financially smart. If you do call them tell them that you have a small apartment complex or something along those lines or they probably won't even talk to you.

I was kidding around with a neighbor the other day, we were looking at my dishes. I said I should start a cable company for my block. That way the subs would pay the fee's and I could watch all the glorious master feeds on my own tv :D. Of course I would compress everything to the subscribers.

Too bad all the sat guys couldn't get together and start our own tv service we could call it SatelliteGuysTV. Any takers with deep pockets to finance it. I could run technical :)

Too bad all the sat guys couldn't get together and start our own tv service we could call it SatelliteGuysTV. Any takers with deep pockets to finance it. I could run technical :)

How would that technically work?

Would we be re-uplinking?

We'll unless we all lived next door to each other we would need to uplink. I would say get a transponder or two on Ku and use a FTA receiver with a CA (conditional access) card. We could pick up where NPS left off. If we used S2 and H264 mpeg 4 we could have allot of channel space. Just look at RTN on C band what they do with S2.

We'll unless we all lived next door to each other we would need to uplink. I would say get a transponder or two on Ku and use a FTA receiver with a CA (conditional access) card. We could pick up where NPS left off. If we used S2 and H264 mpeg 4 we could have allot of channel space. Just look at RTN on C band what they do with S2.

This sounds tempting. Is there a way to determine a budget for a single year of operation?

I'm not the guy to talk to about finances. Im the techie guy :) Maybe someone else could chime in and post some financial numbers. You could probably also contact Mike Kohl at Skyvision and ask him. I'm sure that he would have some round about idea on costs. I think we would need some heavy financial hitters though.

I *might* have access to the deep pockets (not my own - mine have holes!) but need to know more, especially if this would be on a cost recovery or profit basis.

I have the paperwork from Turner Broadcasting in .doc format if it will allow me to post it I will.

Attachments

• Distributor Questionnaire Form.doc
    314.5 KB · Views: 148
I have the paperwork from Turner Broadcasting in .doc format if it will allow me to post it I will.

WOW - thank you!

Would you have any objection to me completing this and faxing it to the number indicated?

I'd need help answering some of the questions.

:D

> Would you have any objection to me completing this and faxing it to the number indicated?

I have no objection, nor do I work for Turner Broadcasting. Thats said I am unsure of the goal. I would work with the other members on getting input and figuring out a long term objective before sending this back to them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)