Pentagon Channel

jsebean

Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Nova Scotia
Hello folks,
So I got my FTA System with a motor setup. It is a 33in dish and SG2100 motor. I have an Azbox MiniMe, but unfortunately it's in repair so in the mean time I picked up an Openbox S9 pretty cheap that I could use until it gets back. Some DVB-S2 signal seem to have a hard time coming in,e E in fact I get nothing on AMC21. One thing I noticed about the Openbox is it didn't have any north american satellites so I added in the sats manually and blind scanned. I am told the Pentagon Channel is on Satellite 101W (SES1) so when I blind scanned I got only a couple radio stations (particularly the EMF klove one and something else) and one other. I read that the EMF station is on DVB-S2 and the quality I'm getting on it is 30%. Kind of low but I don't think it will be any better than that since I've tweaked it the best I can and the dish is small. The pentagon channel however wont even scan in, in fact, the blind scan didn't pick up the TP either.

I read the pentagon channel is on DVB-S, so I added in the TP that the pentagon channel has on their website, (same one listed on lyngsat) 11820 H 20000 but I am getting no quality on it whatsoever (I guess that's why it didn't blindscan in?). It picked up another TP during the blindscan (11710 H 8416) and that's coming in at 63%.

So any ideas why I can't get the tp with pentagon channel at all? I'm located in Southwestern NS, does that TP not reach here or something, is the dish out of wack (I dont think so because other satellites like 83, 87, 91, 95, 97 and 123 come in fine). Perhaps the receiver is screwed up? I also tried changing the LNB and no difference either.

That dish is still somewhat small for FTA programming. Your likely only to be able to scan in the stronger transponders. Many of them run at reduced power levels because they are not designed to be intercepted by end users with small dishes. I would look at getting a bigger dish. You can get 90cm or even a 100cm dish for $100 or less and you'll get a lot more hits when your scanning.

That dish is still somewhat small for FTA programming. Your likely only to be able to scan in the stronger transponders. Many of them run at reduced power levels because they are not designed to be intercepted by end users with small dishes. I would look at getting a bigger dish. You can get 90cm or even a 100cm dish for $100 or less and you'll get a lot more hits when your scanning.
Thanks for the reply that's what I was thinking, it was raining earlier but it cleared off and a few channels came back in but a few didn't other than very weak on some so a bigger dish is prudent to receive them. Thanks for the info :)

You can see my dish in my signature. I am near Halifax. I received Pentagon earlier this year. It scanned in with 4 separate channels. The MPEG4/HD channel is so clear when receivable I watch it for that reason alone. But now I cannot receive anything on SES1 @ 101W. I am assuming the tree leaves have closed in and are blocking it. In SW NS, according to satbeams.com the signal is supposed to be 2dB stronger than in Halifax. A 31.5" dish is supposed to be large enough. Try also for the 12120 V 30000 transponder on the same satellite. It has Dutch and Polish channels.

By the way, this thread probably should be in the general FTA section.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts