People never learn..........

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's right. I specifically remember Motorola mapped in NESN when it first went digital. NESN demanded they remove it, which they did. Everyone who already had it, kept it until they lost power or had to reboot for whatever reason. I remember I had NESN for an additional 2 months, until the power company blinked and caused an automatic reboot to my 4dtv. Sometimes life sux!

Al

truckracer said:
:mad: Now with our blessed internet and public discussion forums which are nice it seems that everyone continues to post the feeds that they find on various sats. While i wish that we could share 100% of our finds when scanning the skies it appears that corporate greed monitors all of the threads and takes action to curtail the enjoyment of home big dish owners.

As all of you may well know, we have lost another feed from free to air because of public posting. Earlier we lost a great feed that has been beat to death on this site and others.

Years ago in sales manager training we had a course how to get information out of people. back then it actually took some skill. Now all you do is just log onto the internet and everyone writes and posts everything they know.

Now the strongarm in the sky has taken action. Enough said.... I think we should have learned from our mistakes by posting feeds. Folks i am asking you to please quit posting your feed information. If anything just email the members that you know and trust. Most all of us have blind search receivers and we all know that we are going to do our scans of various birds and we may find new things.

By posting your feeds you are taking away our free to air signals one by one. Free to air tv goes completely against the american business model of the tv industry. We would be paying mandatory fees for local broadcast stations if a few people had their way!

I'll bite before the 7pm games start coming up.

I don't have a blind scan receiver. I don't plan to get one either. I do need another 4:2:2 receiver, but that's after Xmas and some more bigger dishes are bought.

My main question is what proof do you have when you wrote the following: "As all of you may well know, we have lost another feed from free to air because of public posting."

Please don't tell me because so and so in another forum has a friend that is an engineer. I have friends that are engineer's and they don't have any trouble with posting of feeds. Some engineers even post the feeds. What actual proof do you have? Can you show this proof as legit?

trial?

I did not realize that this was a trial that every fact had to have footnotes, folders, and supporting evidence. I just made a common sense educated guess. I always lived by the motto "Loose lips sink ships".

One just can't help but think that free to air goes against the capitalistic business model of pay tv in america. Like I said before there are those who would dream of the day when local broadcasts would be encrypted and would have to be subscribed.

I love free to air and the hobby, but the "big tv people" do not approve!

truckracer said:
I did not realize that this was a trial that every fact had to have footnotes, folders, and supporting evidence. I just made a common sense educated guess. I always lived by the motto "Loose lips sink ships".

One just can't help but think that free to air goes against the capitalistic business model of pay tv in america. Like I said before there are those who would dream of the day when local broadcasts would be encrypted and would have to be subscribed.

I love free to air and the hobby, but the "big tv people" do not approve!
Although I can't argue your points, particularly about the post(er) being the culprit. It's my uneducated common sense guess: Greed Prevails !!!

Al

voomvoom said:
It's my uneducated common sense guess: Greed Prevails !!!

I have said before that I do not believe that the post of signals has anything to do with it being encryption after launch. HBO scrambled in 1987, long before Al Gore had the internet up and running and affordable. HBO got greedy and the others jumped on the band wagon.

ohiosteve said:
It was not HBO that came up with scrambling idea - it was actually Ted Turner. In reality, he was looking at "greedy" dollar signs when he contacted Scientific Atlanta back then to create the VC back then. He took that to HBO and Disney (the two that went first I believe) and showed them he could make them lots of money selling their programming and ensuring that people had to purchase it. In fact, he was the first reseller of satellite programming. He also got into a pickle because he became a monopoly in that business. Imagine how much everyone would be paying for their subscriptions if he was allowed to continue without competition. I think it would have been long time later if the "networks" had to deal with customers on their own. It was a great idea, but hurt the guys that were watching it while it was free.

Just my two cents.
Steve

Steve, I don't doubt you a bit, but it seems like in those days everytime I heard the word "scrambled," the letters HBO went right along with it. And I really think HBO was the first one to go through with it. But what the hell does it matter, you ever came up with the idea screwed everything up.

sattec said:
8ft miralite....uniden, vc-2 & digicypher 2 , phazer v5.2 software, its great! I refuse to "buy" channels, I don't want to "watch tv", I want the "ham radio with picture" effect. I'm a hobbiest......my wife watches her shows on dbs, I'm scanning the sky, I make my living knowing "what it is" and "how to do it". I'm a product of yrs of sky scanning. At this moment, I'm watching a car chase in OKC on c-band( recorded earlier)

Hey, that's what I do (well, I messed the car chase).

Such a waste, IMO (like it matters), of all these cool gadgets to just watch "boring tv".

Anyone know where I can get a manual focal point finder for a big dish? Skyvision has a laser one but it's $139. I don't want one that bad.
Wayne

voomvoom said:
I think maybe the former Vice President, Al Gore, was a major part of the Congress decision. He apparently had a dish in his backyard.

In the late 70s-early 80s A.G. was a big FTA satellite supporter and said he would do everything in his power to stop encryption :yes . He said the air waves should remain free. My memory tells me I read this in an edition of Orbit around 1984. In a preview of what was to come some years later he did a flip flop :eek: and jumped on the side of the programmers. Something told me that maybe some $$$$$$$ changed hands, nah, that would be illegal, wouldn't it? :rolleyes: .

itlfly2 said:
Anyone know where I can get a manual focal point finder for a big dish? Skyvision has a laser one but it's $139. I don't want one that bad.
Wayne

Moved response to same question in General Satellite Forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)