People still having audio problems on 522?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gary s

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 9, 2003
Southern Cal
I saw there was a software update on the 522 lately. Is anybody still having audio problems such as dropouts or whatever?

And how widespread is this wiping out of recorded programs problem I've read about?

I have been wanting to get a 522 for quite some time but I don't want to get one while they have the problems I've read about.

We have two 721s, which seem to be very stable, and I would prefer to get another one over the 522 (which we would use in single mode). However the 721s seem to be high priced while apparently we could lease a 522 for $100 upfront and hopefully get free installation.

We have been on the same version for several weeks, so in E* terms, it is no longer a new version. There are still minor video and audio problems. IMO they are not enough to stop someone from getting a 522.

I am not sure about the timer conflicts problem when running in single mode. This problem, again IMO, could be a deal-breaker.

We too have been on the same version for weeks and haven't noticed anything that hasn't been minor. Maybe and infrequent pixillation on the video but nothing on the sound. Wonder if some of the complainers really don't have hardware problems.

On my 625, which is similar to the 522, there's only some really minor stuff like it counts some signsl losses when there weren't any noticeable, audio dropouts ONLY on the digital audio output that's hooked up to the Home stereo system and only on recorded shows. No audio dropouts over TV connection at the same time. Every now and then, maybe once a week, when flipping through the channels it takes about 10 seconds to get the picture back from dark screen when you change channels. Like I said, that is so minor, I really don't care. Othe than that it works like a charm.

We have some minor "lip synch" problems now and then, mostly on local into local channels. The latest software update seems to have lengthened the response time when changing channels, etc. Over all, it is much improved from when we installed the 522 in January. For the first couple of months it was awful. We swapped units, which didn't help much, and after several software "upgrades" it got a lot better.

The problems on the lips sync is on the same locals, mostly NBC networks on OTA HD and especially on the prime time shows. That's not DISH's fault IMHO, but just the feed they're getting.

Since the latest upgrade, my 522 has not eaten my shows even once. Before, it happened twice.

I've noticed very few audio dropouts. Sometimes they do occur as a timer fires up in the background, remedied by hitting the skip-back button. I have not noticed any lip-sync errors that last more than about a half second before it self-corrects, and it rarely happens now anyway.

:bounce:bounce :bounce

Thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and ordered a 522 today. $100 dollars upgrade fee for the grand total. Free installation, including another DP34 switch, as we are on the origional DHP.

At first I talked to a CSR who said there would be a $119 charge for the switch. I asked to speak to someone in the executive office but was transferred to a supervisor, who said there would be no charge for the switch.

However, I do have to give them a 510 in return, as they said we are at the maximum number of leased receivers allowed (4).

I just happened to think as I was writing this post that maybe I just had to return any of our leased receivers. I called dishnetwork and they said I could return our one and only 301 instead.

Makes the deal even better!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)