Permanent HD for RSNs?

Contrary to K9SAT, the fact that Dish has grown exponentially from its beginnings with its limited sports offerings compared to all its competition and problems with JIP, rising from nothing to what it is today is phenomenal and proves that Dish's strategy not to go bankrupt (Dish hasn't the deep pockets of its competition) ever making a serious bid for NFLST (Dish has referred to it as No Funds Left) or opting to NOT pay the ransom for MLBEI (specifically the MLB network that is required if the MVPD wants MLBEI), and go out of business shows that an MVPD doesn't necessary need the most expensive sports services to be extremely successful. Dish continues to add subscribers and steal them from cable and DirecTV even with Dish's "3rd rate" sports offerings.

Not completely accurate. While yes dish has grown scene the beginning, so has the rest of the industry, and they have outpaced what dish has grown. There is a reason why Directv has over 70 million plus viewers and is the number one DBS provider out there behind Comcast for the number one provider slot. Both Directv, and Comcast have an extensive sports lineup and are doing just fine with programs such as MLB Extra Innings, MLB network and NHL Center Ice. Also if you look at the numbers from the previous quarters through the past year, two years you will see that there was a constant trending of sub loss, for well over 6 quarters, with a few quarters of growth in between. That sub loss lead to an increased cash flow for charlie due to his raising of rates and the decreased spending on installations. (there goes your No Funds Left idea) Instead of investing back into the business, Charlie decided to line his pockets.

Its a night and day difference when you look at the growth of programming when dish was coming online as a provider in the 90's versus the HD growth. Dish offered the packages and programming options that people wanted back then such as RSN's. Because of that they grew in the 90's like no other. Now we come back to the HD revolution. Dish isn't offering the programming people want, such as HD RSN's and their growth is slower. There is a direct correlation between the two. Its obvious that there is a demand for HD RSN's in full time as threads like this keep popping up. And new customers seeing threads like this, instantly get turned off as they dont want to see JIP for their local sports programming. All they care about is seeing the games in HD, and their local programming such as SportsNight in HD. Joe Blow who's invested thousands of dollars into a new setup doesnt want to see half assed HD, they want it done right.

According to Directv's CEO during conference calls to analysts, he states that the majority of their installs are HD (advanced receivers). Even with the lack of NATIONAL HD adds, Directv still is gaining subs over Dish Network. That's telling you something right there! Dish isn't doing something right and with the constant channel drop outs, and lack of Full time HD RSN's, Subs are sending dish a clear message that enough is enough. Charlie's stupid as he's ignoring what the customers are saying, and the hints that the market place is sending him. Doing nothing like how he has, sends a clear message that Dish doesn't care and is closed for business when it comes to new sub growth.

Honestly why not add them?

I think that most of the sports fans/Dish subs, would be quite content to just have the RSN's in HD 24/7. The big premium sports packages are one thing but the local RSN's are whole other thing. We've all seen the why no 24/7 question and we all know the stock answer (Not enough bandwidth). We've seen the spot beam suggestion. So here is a more pointed question or two. Why does "D" and Comcast and Cox etc have enough band width and "E" does not? What is a spot beam and why does "E" not want to use this method?

I agree... This thread was about Full time HDRSN's only! Not the sports packages.

I think that most of the sports fans/Dish subs, would be quite content to just have the RSN's in HD 24/7. The big premium sports packages are one thing but the local RSN's are whole other thing. We've all seen the why no 24/7 question and we all know the stock answer (Not enough bandwidth). We've seen the spot beam suggestion. So here is a more pointed question or two. Why does "D" and Comcast and Cox etc have enough band width and "E" does not? What is a spot beam and why does "E" not want to use this method?

I think the reason why dish hasnt implemented this suggestion is they dont have the room on spotbeams. Heck look at Chicago. Directv and every other provider in the Chicago land area offers CBS, NBC,ABC,WGN, PBS (WTTW,WYCC, and WYIN),FOX,WCIU, and MyNtwk, all in HD. Dish only offers a fraction of that. Spot beams are reusable beams operating at the same frequency(S). Each beam is pointed at a different area allowing them to offer local channels. And locals in HD for a certain area.

Also, I don't think dish is serious about doing a WA MPEG 4 upgrade. If they were we would see it going on now. Or they are strategising by loosing every customer possible, and then do the upgrade so its cheaper. Who knows?

I agree... This thread was about Full time HDRSN's only! Not the sports packages.
It's a shame that we have to beg for a full-time version of an HD channel we already have. While it may have been true initially that the games were the only HD programming the RSNs may have had, that's not true any more!!!

It's just sad to see that E* is completely doing the half monty when it comes to RSN's. I actually think that Charlie no offense is very incompetent because clearly he is an
Mfailurel.jpg
when it comes to sports. He already admitted it. I think also he is treating many of his customers (including my sister who has Dish) and the last thing for Charlie to do his minions to basically dictate what we should and should not have. IMO, he is a total liar when it comes to programming and the best thing for him is to file for Chapter 7 and well you get the picture. Personally Dish should be bought out by Goldman Sachs since he holds a stock in E*

I don't care about sports, but it might be nice to get full time HD RSNs just to move the bitching over to another topic.

If and when dish loses CSN Chicago they just as better give up on Chicago all together.

But about Chicago only comcast AT&T and Directv have CSN HD and CSN + HD.

Why not put full time RSN HD on the Spot beams that's what Directv used to do.

Spots for HD

Because the spots can't be used for the NBA and NHL packages and that the Chicago spot beam area is much smaller than the CSN Midwest (Chi.) area which covers all of Iowa and as well as most of IN and IL.
If and when dish loses CSN Chicago they just as better give up on Chicago all together.

But about Chicago only comcast AT&T and Directv have CSN HD and CSN + HD.

Why not put full time RSN HD on the Spot beams that's what Directv used to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)