Permanently Lost Satellite Signal (Using DP311 Solo receiver)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hifromeddie

Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
San Francisco
I am renting a room in a house which has Dish Network.

The main part of the house has a Dish receiver model Vip 622 DVR/HDTV.

Two TV's are hooked up to that receiver, and there is a strong satellite signal (all 3 satellites).

So the Dish on the roof is not out of alignment.

The receiver in my room is a solo DP311 model (for 1 standard tv).

It is hooked up to the same Dish as the other receiver.

But I lost my satellite signal even though the TV's hooked up to the other receiver (which connects to the same Dish as my receiver) have a strong Satellite signal.

I have been living in the rented room for 2 years and have always had problems with the satellite signal fluctuating - sometimes it stays for a month, then disappears for an hour, and then comes back.

However it is finally gone, so it seems.

I went through all the resetting steps, and after I reset the switch it said it could no longer find any satellites, and it switched to default.

I checked all the satellites one by one and all the transponders...still nothing.

I checked all my cable connections...no problem there.

Strange thing is this receiver has always been touchy....

Every time I would simply shift it or move it a few inches, the signal would suddenly be gone.

And yet the position of the receiver should have nonthing to do with detecting the satellite because it is connected directly to the Dish on the roof.

So I am thinking the receiver is faulty and maybe I need a new one?

Or do I need a LNB?

Again, the other receiver in the house connected to the same Dish is working fine, and both TV's connected to that receiver have a strong satellite signal.

Since the cable running out of my room is connected to the same Dish on the roof as the other receiver, does that mean it is on the same LNB?

Or is it on a separate LNB even though it is on the same Dish as the other receiver?

Just trying to figure out the problem before I jump into buying a new receiver.

(I don't want to buy a new receiver if it is the LNB that is the problem).

I don't want to adjust the Dish on the roof because as I said the main TV's in the owners house are getting a strong signal.

Since I am connected to the same Dish I should be getting the signal too (unless, as I said, my receiver is dead or the lnb thing...)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Can you move the 311 to the main location and temporarily connect it? If it works cables are probably identifird as the problem. If it dosen't work you identifird the receiver as the problem.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have to check with the Landlord (owner of the house who lives upstairs and uses the other receiver) before I try disconnecting stuff. I don't want to mess up their system.

hifromeddie said:
Thank you for the suggestions. I have to check with the Landlord (owner of the house who lives upstairs and uses the other receiver) before I try disconnecting stuff. I don't want to mess up their system.

First of all, you shoukd find out if there is a service plan with this account, chances are you could just pay 15 dollars to have a tech come out to figure out the problem. Okay that aside......

The two recievers are definitley hooked up to the same dish so dont go trying to repeak it, the problem lies in either, the reciever, the cable, the port on the lnb. Chances are from what you have described it sounds to me the reciever is at fault or atleast the cable connection at the reciever, ould be as simple as needing to replace the fitting at the reciever end o the cable, possibly when a connector was put on the cable wasn prepared properly. Also, if the reciever is not sending out voltage up thw cable to rhe lnb it wont recieve signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)