Perplexed by DirectTV 775, shouldn't be this hard!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adashjr

Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Washington, NJ
I'll be quick and succinct, promise. My communications box (alarm, ethernet, modem, cable, and now Direct TV) has a line coming in from outside dish to 4 way splitter. Splitter shows basement #39. Guest bedroom 2, labeled #37, master labeled #35, and family room #34.

Basement #39, client removed, prob return to Direct TV, we moved that TV to master

Guest bedroom 2, #37, nothing whatsoever attached, but did previously have the Directtv router gizmo attached as my wireless router used to be in that room, but now, absolutely nothing is connected in #37.

Family room, #34, Genie, and the ethernet gizmo connected directly to router.

Master, #35, Client and 'SWM ODU' (I am an AMATEUR but absolutely confounded why this SWM ODU is in my bedroom, not in my basement com box)

My wife and I renovating Master, #35, has a 'client' AND 'SWM ODU' which I assume is Power Inserter? I am mounting tv to a different wall shared with master closet, #36 (When I designed the town home I had them install #36 and a receptacle in closet, long story)

At the 4 way splitter in basement com box, #37 is on the red line. Once again, there is NOTHING attached to #37 in the guest bedroom. I promise, LOL !!!
#35, #39, and #34 took up remaining 3 outputs on splitter.

(#36 my intended relocation, is connected to the 8 way splitter installed by alarm/home aud/vid co.)

Whenever we disconnect #35, master bed, we get error 775 downstairs. Understandable because of the power inserter?

But #37 is connected to redline on splitter, #35 has the PI. WHAT?!?!?!?!

Anyway, I figure this: If #35 master bed is connected to the 4 way splitter, why don't I just swap it out with #36, rendering #35 dead and #36 'alive'.

So, go down to the basement, swap them out, (still confused how #37 is on the redline), connect client and PI to #36 and of course error 775.

I spent almost two hours resetting boxes, verifying lines were labeled correctly, but gosh darn, if you don't have the PI at #35 (and please don't tell me to leave it there, renovation won't allow) you get error 775.

Can ANYONe walk me through what is sure to be a very simple solution to this, THANK YOU!!!!!

I didn't read the whole thing, but I'm assuming that either something is not terminated or the power inserter was relocated. If the power inserter was moved put it back. If a line is unterminated, terminate it.

I read it and I still haven't a clue what you're trying to say/do. Too much there to confuse me.

Here's how SWM systems hook up. Your dish feed sounds like it's hooked up correctly, you're power inserter not so much. Yo need to have the power inserter plugged in to the red power passing port on the splitter. I've seen where power supply's we're hooked up on the wrong port and the system still worked but it's a fluke and at random.

But the PI is in my bedroom, two stories above the splitter, (connected to a client). In a nutshell, all I want to do is transfer it to another room, which always results in 775. so I thought why not go to the splitter and remove the no longer needed bedroom connection and place the coax for the new location in its spot, in essence just swapping. But whats really confusing me, the coax to the red line is from a room with nothing connected at all!!! EVERYONE is saying the PI should be on the redline, in my splitter it is not. It's the coax from an empty room.

"Yo need to have the power inserter plugged in to the red power passing port on the splitter." directly to? or indirectly via the coax running from my tv location to the splitter in the basement? Semantics can be brutal, thank you so much for any input.

It isn't really so hard. The red power passing port on the splitter MUST be connected to the power inserter, otherwise the dish will not get power and you will get the 775 messages. It does not matter where the PI is located, as long as the coax from the PI to the splitter goes to the red power passing port. Right now you are saying just an unused coax goes to the red port, that won't work.

that's exactly what I am saying, the red port is line 37, guest bedroom, the only thing in that room right now is carpet. that's why we feared the tech may have mislabeled the lines, but so hard to tell without pro equipment or expertise. And we did experiment switching lines. The PI, in my master bedroom, is labeled 35. Indeed it is connected to the splitter, but def not the red power, can prob post a pic to prove it.

(For the sake of disclosure, I'm a newbie to DBS, but I aint a moron. Not with my self installed THX home theatre)

:welcome to Satelliteguys adashjr!

As others have said, the power inserter must be on the power passing leg of the splitter. It can be anywhere physically as long as it is on that leg.

that's exactly what I am saying, the red port is line 37, guest bedroom, the only thing in that room right now is carpet. that's why we feared the tech may have mislabeled the lines, but so hard to tell without pro equipment or expertise. And we did experiment switching lines. The PI, in my master bedroom, is labeled 35. Indeed it is connected to the splitter, but def not the red power, can prob post a pic to prove it.

(For the sake of disclosure, I'm a newbie to DBS, but I aint a moron. Not with my self installed THX home theatre)

So what's the difficulty. Your PI is on the wrong cable. Just cable it correctly and it will work....

Thank you SO much for your input, but apparently I am not conveying my problem accurately and/or no one is understanding me.
Texasbrit can I try one last time to explain?

What you are telling us is that your PI is connected to a cable that does not go to the power passing port on the splitter. That's why it does not work.

OK, the feed from the Dish goes where ? PI or the Splitter ...
If it goes to the splitter, it needs to go to the In from IRD, the port labeled Out goes to PI the out from the PI goes to a recvr.
Once this is done you should be working, all other recvrs need to also be connected to this splitter in the other ports.

I think I have this scenario correct, others will correct if I am wrong.

Op, can you set your up like this ?

So what's the difficulty. Your PI is on the wrong cable. Just cable it correctly and it will work....
First: EVERYONE is saying the PI must be on the red power line, on my splitter, it is not, DBS functions beautifully
Second: What IS connected to the red power line is the coax from an empty bedroom, no client, no tv, no router, nada.
Third: The PI is in my master bedroom and connected to the splitter in A NON-RED POWER LINE spot.
Fourth: I need to relocate the tv in master bedroom and use different wall jack. But transferring the PI and the client to the new jack, and making the switch on the splitter so the new location/coax is on the red power line does not work. Error 775.

How is it that an empty wall jack is in a guest bedroom is on the red power line and my system runs fine?

How is it that the PI is in my master bedroom, and if I disconnect I get error 775?

THANK YOU

First: EVERYONE is saying the PI must be on the red power line, on my splitter, it is not, DBS functions beautifully
Second: What IS connected to the red power line is the coax from an empty bedroom, no client, no tv, no router, nada.
Third: The PI is in my master bedroom and connected to the splitter in A NON-RED POWER LINE spot.
Fourth: I need to relocate the tv in master bedroom and use different wall jack. But transferring the PI and the client to the new jack, and making the switch on the splitter so the new location/coax is on the red power line does not work. Error 775.

How is it that an empty wall jack is in a guest bedroom is on the red power line and my system runs fine?

How is it that the PI is in my master bedroom, and if I disconnect I get error 775?

THANK YOU
This was explained earlier ...

See Hutch's post # 4, last line.

Dish coax from outside goes directly into my communications box in basement, into a 4 way splitter. The red power line coax is to a room that has nothing connected, the other 3 ports are basement client, family room genie, and master bedroom PI/client.
All I wanted to do was transfer the master bedroom PI/client to a different outlet, but that renders error 775

Dish coax from outside goes directly into my communications box in basement, into a 4 way splitter. The red power line coax is to a room that has nothing connected, the other 3 ports are basement client, family room genie, and master bedroom PI/client.
All I wanted to do was transfer the master bedroom PI/client to a different outlet, but that renders error 775

OK, do all your coax's feeding to your rooms you want to use, show up in that Connunications box ?

IF so, take the feed from the dish, run it into the PI "In from IRD", the Out to recvr side, send that back to the Power side of the splitter, the Out side of the splitter power goes to a recvr and the rest of your recvrs tie into the remaining posts on the splitter.

I would unplug all recvrs before working on these and move your cables and then plug them back in.

Unplug the PI as well, make all your changes, then plug in the PI, wait for the green light to light up, then plug recvrs in.

But I DID connect it to the power passing port on the splitter. I relocated the PI and client from my bedroom(#35) to a different walljack(mine are labeled, new jack is #36), so of course I went downstairs to make the new walljack/coax #36 the red power line but still error 775. Should I be resetting any boxes/clients/genie after relocating PI?

so move the PI from my bedroom into my comm box? Why didn't the directtv tech do that on installation? This is why I am so confused!!! Why is the PI in my bedroom? and on top of that, NOT attached to the red power line!!!
THANK YOU:confused:

My best guess is that whichever receiver/dvr is on the power passing port is supplying enough voltage to run the lnb, but it's really not sufficient in the long run. The most voltage you can get from a receiver/dvr is 18 volts, but a swm lnb needs 21 to work properly. Move the power inserter to before the splitter and that should solve your problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts