Perplexing Standby Issue - HR10-250

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AAM

Original poster
Sep 24, 2004
Greetings to all. I'm brand new to this forum. I posted the below thread in another forum, but a member there, who is also a member here, recommended I post to this forum.

This post concerns the HR10-250 HDTV Tivo unit and it's refusal to come out of standby mode. I know many people simply leave their units on, but that is not a fix in my opinion. The unit should come out of standby when prompted by the remote or the button on the unit.

Here is my story about 4 different units:

Unit #1: This unit was in use for about 30 days when one day it failed to come out of standby. Totally unresponsive to the remote or buttons. Had to reboot (unplug/replug) the machine each time to watch TV. The unit first failed within hours of connecting it to my new JVC D-ILA via HDMI. Previously was connected to component input of my CRT unit. DirecTV sent me a new unit. Yes, the unit was absolutely getting power - you can feel and hear the hard drive spinning. Was connected to a Monster HTS 5100.

Unit#2: This unit failed within a couple of days, again connected to my JVC via HDMI. On the advice of DirecTV, I left the unit on ("like most people do"). Theory is fine, except after a couple of days of being "on", the unit was apparently not outputting a signal. It was indeed "on" based on the panel lights- but no signal. At least, no picture. Had to reboot. DirecTV agreed to replace.

Unit #3: HDMI output was bad, bad, bad out of box. Picture looked similar to a color negative. So I connected to the JVC via component. DirecTV agreed to replace. The 3-4 days I used this unit, it DID NOT fail to come out of standby.

Unit #4: Connected to JVC via HDMI - picture fine. But....you guessed it; the unit failed to come out of standby within 2 days of receiving it. Unit was put in standby and did record the show I wanted. Noticed the power light was on (yes-it turned itself "on" out of standby) the next evening but no signal and unit otherwise unresponsive. Had to reboot. I'm right back where I started.

Now, it's curious that the only unit that did not fail was #3 where I was using component and unit #1 did not fail until I used the HDMI output. Obviously, I need to try using unit #4 with component but I've reconnected things so many times I've been too lazy too try. Also, I can not believe that using the unit's HDMI output could have any possible effect on the standby mode (either does DirecTV). I think I'll just leave it on for the moment. And I will switch back to component just to see what happens sometime this weekend.

Now, DirecTV has been great. I've talked with many nice people, 2nd tier support, Tivo techs, gone thru trouble shooting procedures and they have sent me $3K worth of new receivers w/o any hassle. Everyone at DirecTV I've talked to says they haven't heard of this problem before. If that is true, what are the odds that I get 3 out of 4 units that refuse to come out of standby?

I can not think of one thing that might cause this to happen, except the HDMI connection. But that makes absolutely no sense. Anybody have any ideas? Similar experience?

HDMI Failure

I would assume the other forum you posted to was TCF. D* is well aware of the issue, but cannot publicly acknowledge it because then they may have a recall on their hands and you know they do not want that, some will never use the HDMI port and will otherwise never know.

This failure occurs in 25% of the units out, and there are another 27% who do not have HDMI and did not know. So I would say the odds are fair that yes you have received 4 bad units. The highest failure rates seem to be on the units made in Mexico.

Here is a direct link to thier poll on HDMI failures. I do not think the issue is tied to standby function one way or the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts