Pfsense and the Sling Adapter

smakovits

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Anybody know the right configuration of ports in Pfsense to allow remote access? I have added a few ports and IPs but every time new ones get blocked. I really dont want to put my 722 in a DMZ just to use the Sling Adapter.

The strange thing to note is that the remote connection to start recordings works. It is only once you try to view live TV that the ports and traffic is being blocked.

SOLVED: TCP/UDP port 5001 is all I needed. I guess I was over analyzing by looking at the blocked traffic and trying to make it work from there. I was thinking maybe Dish used its own port separate ports from sling, but that is not the case. This one rule made everything possible.

HAHA I lied. I just disabled WiFi on my Droid X and went to 3g and now when I try to load up it fails. I can get to the DVR, but when I try to load video, it fails. I can see the 722 switching to sling with the new icon, but then it goes away...

One more piece of information i will add is that it appears that sometimes it does actually works and the connection is made and I can see video, but it seems flacky, sometimes it works, other times which is more that not, it does not work. So, now it really makes not sense, although I do still see block statements in my router, so something is happening for sure that it doesn't like.

When your Droid is on wifi, can you tell if it's getting to the 722 via the 722's internal IP address directly, or is it actually addressing the 722 by your router's WAN address? (I sure hope it isn't, but I fear it is.) This means the router has to figure out that an internal address is being addressed by it's external WAN port address, and loop every packet back onto the LAN. Ugh. This loopback function was not even available on some older routers, like my Linksys BEFSR81. Early firmware on the BEFSR81 actually crashed the router if you addressed an internal address with the router's external address.

I wanted to report back that I believe the issue may actually be with the software for the droid. The app will crash on initial load just for starters. When I first launch a program to watch, I get no picture, but then I go back and hit watch again and then it seems to load. It is all very strange behavior to say the least, but I think it is working because I am able to launch programs from the phone when away from home, albeit with a little work, but I can accept that since the app is brand new still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts