Phase III and TiVo

snoop

Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Minneapolis/St. Paul
I am a returning customer to directv and just purchased a new setup including dual lnb dish, tivo and regular receiver. I wanted the triple lnb phase III dish so I just upgraded and had my new triple lnb dish set up with my tivo and regular receiver today. Unfortunately the tech had never set up a phase 3 dish before and wasn't sure how many cables he needed to run. My tivo is in the basement of my home where the two RG6 ran from the first dual lnb dish into a 3x4 multiswitch. The three outputs were two for the tivo and one to regular receiver. The set up is the same now with the new triple lnb dish. I have realized over the course of this evening after sporatic signal loss that this is not correct. I am assuming after reading bits and pieces of posts that I am supposed to have 4 cables coming from the dish??? Two for each sat and one from c band??? So, if I don't have HD would that make it only 3 cables to correctly install my setup? I'm frustrated that the tech doesn't know this info and the more I read the more confused I become on how all this stuff works.
The HD channels are in my guide now but I have no picture. For instance NASA channel is "not available" and HBOL is just a blank picture. I do however have most of the hispanic channels. I also noticed that certain TP's have no signal ...4, and 16 are two of them that I can remember. In the tivo sat. setup it shows In 1 and In 2. If there are 3 sats shouldn't there be an In 3?? Is this because my set up is incorrect or should there only be satellite in 1 and 2 even when setup correctly? Someone please help me understand this cluster#$%! :confused:

snoop:

If you have 3 cables running from your multiswitch to three receiver inputs (2 Tivo, 1 other receiver), then you will remove the multiswitch, and run direct from LNBF to each receiver input. The Phase III LNBF has a built in multiswitch, with 4 outputs, which allows you to connect up to 4 receivers.

To sum up, you will need 3 cables for DirecTV running in to your home, + any C band wiring you need.

If the uninformed "tech" left the multiswitch in place it is blocking the signals from the 110 & 119 satellites, you are still using the 18" dish in effect. You will need a cable from the dish to each of your tuners.

Ahhh! That makes sense. :D I was being dumb and thinking that the built in multi switch didn't combine the signal so in other words I still need another multi switch in home to input the four cables from sat. Isn't the middle lnb C band? If so what other wiring would I need?
al said:
snoop:

If you have 3 cables running from your multiswitch to three receiver inputs (2 Tivo, 1 other receiver), then you will remove the multiswitch, and run direct from LNBF to each receiver input. The Phase III LNBF has a built in multiswitch, with 4 outputs, which allows you to connect up to 4 receivers.

To sum up, you will need 3 cables for DirecTV running in to your home, + any C band wiring you need.

The middle LNBF is referred to as SAT C but it has nothing to do with "C"band it is a special LNBF that receives the signal from the 110 satellite and downconverts it to a signal that the Directv receivers recognize as a transponder 8,10,12 signal on the 119 satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)