Phase III Dish and Snow (dish covers?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
Ah, yet more joys of dish ownership...lol.

Three times already this winter, I've had issue with snow building up on the Phase III dish.

Getting up on a ladder with a homemade contraption (tree trimmer with broom duct taped to the end) and brushing the dish off is a bit dangerous.

Is there a dish cover I could use that would help out in this situation? I really don't want to have to bring the ladder out and climb up it all winter.

Any suggestions?

I use liquid car wax. Works well. Usually the snow slides right off then. Once in a great while a broom is needed.

proc,

you are in snow country, and im in pittsburgh so i know.

dont use car wax, get a bottle of RAINEX and apply it to the shell part of the dish 4 or 5 times, then buff it off.

you also could , as has been mentioned , buy a HOT SHOT heater system for the dish. try robert at value electronics first, as he supports this site

Hot shots arent worth the $100 , go with the cover or i have had customers use regular pam cooking spray or silcone spray on the dish.

nifi,

never use pam or wesson spray, they are oil based. they will collect dust and dirt. always use silicone based products, like rainex

Nope, didnt say i did, had a few different customers who decided to, their dish, their choice. :cool: We use silcone spray, same stuff sold for snow shovels and works great. No problems in summer or such with dirt.

Another issue to remember with covers is, that the bees love them to, they can get inside and make nests , thus knocking out your signal, and lots of fun to service. :rolleyes:

NiFi said:
Nope, didnt say i did, had a few different customers who decided to, their dish, their choice. :cool: We use silcone spray, same stuff sold for snow shovels and works great. No problems in summer or such with dirt.
Another issue to remember with covers is, that the bees love them to, they can get inside and make nests , thus knocking out your signal, and lots of fun to service. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, all. It was much easier when the regular single LNB dish was on my house, I could use a regular broom. Now that the Phase III is 35 ft. back from the house and up on the garage, its a bit more work to keep the snow off.

LOL...bees, eh? I have a feeling, I will endure the snow this winter and even though I don't want to, put a pole in the ground and trench the coax back next spring/summer when I upgrade to MPEG-4/H20.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)