Philips DSX 5500 trouble

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cisbrane

Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
hello,

i have ahd the dsx 5500 series for quite awhile now and it now has stopped working. when i turn it on an get the loading data screen, it will never go past 10%.

I have placed my reciever at different locations in my house and i still get the same problem... i think it might be a hardware issue. whats interesting is that i can accesss some of the menus when it is at 10% just none of the DTV stuff like channels.

any help would be nice

thanks

Call Directv technical support to see what they will do for you. I would bet it is time to lease a new receiver from them.

It's a peculiar little annoyance with the Philips DSX5500/5540s. Guide loading gets stuck at 10% (or less commonly, at 28%). It's an easy fix. Here's what you do.

1. Press the MENU button
2. Arrow down to SETUP, press OK
3. Arrow down to POINT DISH, press OK
4. Using the left and right arrow buttons, jog through transponders 1, 2, 31 and 32.
5. Press the EXIT button. The guide will resume downloading.

Works every time!

I inherited two Philips DSX5500's a few years ago. They were basically garabge. They took forever to boot up and always randomly froze and rebooted, not to mention the rf output on them was terrible (full of static). I swapped them out with a pair of Samsungs and they worked perfectly. Now I have upgraded to a R-15300 and I noticed that it is incredibly slow and the S-Video output is terrible. I found the manufacturers code and what do you know, the R15-300 is made by Philips:( . I convinced directv to swap me out with a new one and got a R15-500. Much, much better. Now I stay away from all Philips satellite receivers since they do not seem to be made very well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)