Philips Readies Ultra HD Blu-ray Player for June Release, MSRP Set for $400

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ews+(High+Def+Digest:+All+High-Def+Disc+News)

Philips has announced pricing and availability for its first Ultra HD Blu-ray player. The Philips player will be available in two models: the BDP7501 with a brushed aluminum chassis and the BDP7301 with a piano black chassis. Both units are set for release in June for a suggested retail price of $400.

"4K Ultra HD Blu-ray provides consumers with the opportunity to own and enjoy stunning 4K content without the glitches that can occur when streaming large 4K files," P&F USA executive vice president of sales and marketing Karl Bearnarth said. "This is a significant step in the transition from HD to 4K Ultra HD, and one that we believe will quicken consumers' adoption of 4K, especially as they see what the combination of 4K, HDR and Ultra HD Blu-ray's wide color gamut can achieve."

The BDP7501 and BDP7301 Ultra HD Blu-ray players feature a compact design along with HDR support, HDMI 2.0a and 1.4a outputs, a dedicated HDMI audio out, and HDCP 2.2 compliancy. In addition to Ultra HD Blu-ray disc playback, the device offers Blu-ray 3D support and 4K upscaling. HEVC and VP9 decoding are integrated as well, allowing customers to watch 4K videos from streaming apps like Netflix and YouTube. Likewise, the players include Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding, and passthrough for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X immersive audio formats. Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and USB connectivity are also included.

Yay for Phillips the company that generally makes crappy electronics. Why anyone would get this model over the Samsung for the same price is beyond me. Now if only the Panasonic would one out already.

Now if only the Panasonic would one out already.

They do, just not here in the US yet, rumored to be here in Sept.

Here is a review for the Panasonic player
http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmp-ub900-review

The biggest plus is it will convert a HDR signal to SDR for those who do not have a HDR 4K set-

When it comes to converting Ultra HD Blu-ray video to TVs that might not support its full capabilities, it automatically detects your TV’s capabilities – or, more specifically, the capabilities of your TV’s HDMIs – and selects the correct output mode.

More importantly, and unusually, when converting HDR sources to SDR (standard dynamic range) ones, the UB900 goes to the trouble of converting the HDR tone curve and colour primaries in linear RGB, so that they can be remapped to SDR’s lower dynamics more effectively.

Well, after speculation that this is a bare bones version of the Panny SoC and it is $400 cheaper, I decided to give it a try. People seem very happy with it over at AVS (PQ wise). Going to setup today, I'll post some images and observations. I won't have another UHD movie to watch until Hunstman gets released, but I will use some Netflix and Youtube.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, after speculation that this is a bare bones version of the Panny SoC and it is $400 cheaper, I decided to give it a try. People seem very happy with it over at AVS (PQ wise). Going to setup today, I'll post some images and observations. I won't have another UHD movie to watch until Hunstman gets released, but I will use some Netflix and Youtube.
What is the easiest way to find 4K movies in Netflix? I have the 4K membership and don't see a 4K section to select from. Must be an easy way to track down 4K selections somehow.

What is the easiest way to find 4K movies in Netflix? I have the 4K membership and don't see a 4K section to select from. Must be an easy way to track down 4K selections somehow.

What device are you using?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

What device are you using?

I have no DISH 4K equipment yet. So I brought up Netflix thru my 4K Vizio TV and there was a 4K show to select at the bottom but still nothing in the categories to select. So is that how the 4K selections are always done? They utomatically show up at the bottom when you log in?

Both on my Vizio app ( never use ) and my Roku 4 it shows all the categories, in the first row recently watched or My List, then second row 4K, then the next rows are things like Action Movies, Sci-Fi, etc.

But the 4K row is always in the top two which is all I have been watching on Netflix lately.

Can't wait for your review, still trying to decide if I really want the Xbox S or not, can't justify spending $699 on the Pany, that is only $100 less then I paid for my Vizio M55-C2.

Both on my Vizio app ( never use ) and my Roku 4 it shows all the categories, in the first row recently watched or My List, then second row 4K, then the next rows are things like Action Movies, Sci-Fi, etc.

But the 4K row is always in the top two which is all I have been watching on Netflix lately.

OK, thanks. I am not seeing that for some for some reason. And now I don't see the 4K movies at the bottom anymore.

I love the xbox s, especially for streaming and web surfing, listening to podcasts, youtube... Its like a small HTPC. I wish I could keep both and I may, just have to figure out how to fit them LOL.

On Netflix, I thought you could search for HDR or Ultra HD and it would find stuff that way. I really only watch their originals so thats all I see.

Thoughts:

• Bigger than I expected, but allows me space to fit movies next to it in the cubby hole!
  • To get Netflix HDR, I had to set the 4k/60 setting to 444, with 420 I would not get the HDR notification
  • Youtube setup was as expected, and PQ is very good on HD content
  • Build quality looks good to me, power brick outside should help with heat, but it has a small fan too
  • Menus are simple, which is good, and options are explained. With the Samsung for example, sometimes they over complicate things or do not name them well and give little to no explanation.
  • I love the small popup that tells you resolution and framerate, and the playback information banner is outstanding (take note Samsung) as well
  • As far as speed, everything seems OK to me. Sure, it is a hair slower at everything vs the Samsung, but it's not that big of a gap
  • From the detailed playback info window, to the ability to convert HDR to SDR, to some of the random menu areas I saw, I'm on board with this having some blood relation to Panasonic. Anyone that owned a lot of their players will notice some familiar aspects, and seeing how that detailed playback window looks just like the 900, makes you go hmmmm...
  • Ran spears and munsil, everything looked good and the fine chroma patterns actually looked better on my display than with the Samsung.
  • Netflix PQ was very good, and it ramped up to 2160p pretty fast, maybe not as fast as I have seen, but plenty fast.
  • Having owned both, I'd take this one over the Samsung. You don't get 24hz Netfli:mad:but the Samsung still does not have HDR Netflix), or a huge number of apps, but I like the size, the PQ, the cost and the menu structure. It is also very quiet IMO, even when the tray comes out it is quiet.
  • Updated to FW 1.04 as soon as I got it setup.

Philips just got them a new customer.

Will post some pics in a minute.

Couple of shots of the player, movie and razor knife for perspective

AZYDLy.jpg

vVf2ds.jpg

Netflix before I got HDR working
55tXpM.jpg

bYxGEj.jpg

CJagh8.jpg

After Netflix HDR was working
DitG48.jpg

H8E9EF.jpg

It is obviously more drab, details still seem good but does not have that HDR pop that is quite obvious to me.

In that opening shot of Allegiant, the sky, the vehicle head lights, etc... all pop more on the HDR version. I think it is could be good option for those with displays that can't do HDR, to still get some benefit of resolution and better audio tracks.

It is obviously more drab, details still seem good but does not have that HDR pop that is quite obvious to me.

In that opening shot of Allegiant, the sky, the vehicle head lights, etc... all pop more on the HDR version. I think it is could be good option for those with displays that can't do HDR, to still get some benefit of resolution and better audio tracks.

Thanks, ordering right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts