Phoenix Meredith stations dispute?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The local car company isn’t paying a large enough bill for that to matter. The billion dollar companies that advertise in the prime spots, however, is all they have to talk to.
So you think Dish is contacting these billion dollar companies and telling them that since station WZZZ (made up call letters) is no longer under contract, viewers can skip their ads easier (because without autohop, ads can still be skipped) immediately instead of waiting a day? You know the billion dollar companies don't deal with the local, right? They buy time on the network and it gets sent to the local along with the show. So your theory is Dish tells the advertiser, the advertiser complains to the network, then the network complains to the affiliate? Therefore the affiliate gets pressure to end the blackout sooner?

No, I don’t think Dish IS doing that. Just that they can. And the billion dollar companies are dealing with Meredith, and Dish can say “across Meredith, this is what you’re losing”.

No, I don’t think Dish IS doing that. Just that they can. And the billion dollar companies are dealing with Meredith, and Dish can say “across Meredith, this is what you’re losing”.
The bolded is where I think you're wrong. You do know most commercials during network programming are coming from the network, right? They're not inserted at the local affiliate (while some are, those are mainly locally sold). Picture the Super Bowl. You can usually tell what's a network spot (and therefore costs millions) and what's a local spot (and MIGHT get to the tens of thousands). It's the same thing that happens every night.

Like I said, this is a circular conversation. You don’t accept my points, and I don’t accept yours. We are going to keep saying the same things and keep thinking the other is wrong, for our own reasons. We’ve gone how many posts on this, and given you an example that you shut down, however I also said there are many ways they can. Neither of us have any inside info to what Dish can do, we only have the claims actually made by the channel owner, under oath. Multiple times they have made that, everytime they sue Dish, TiVo and anyone else.

I doubt these channels ever come back. Time to switch to a provider that can give you the channels you want. Dish is going to go bankrupt if they keep losing subscribers by failing to get locals and sports channels that people want to pay for.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Neighbors just left Dish & went back to Direct so they could watch football - most of what they watch on TV. Our local FOX (which has been showing some NFL pre-season) has been blacked out for over 5 weeks (Meredith) & they were frustrated with missing the games. Supposedly they are getting the cancellation fee paid & a gift card, but getting the NFL package sealed the deal. Hopefully they didn't get suckered (they're older) & fully checked everything out but I doubt it, they were way too impulsive.

I doubt these channels ever come back. Time to switch to a provider that can give you the channels you want. Dish is going to go bankrupt if they keep losing subscribers by failing to get locals and sports channels that people want to pay for.
Please stop trolling. If you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, please leave and do not come back!

The bolded is where I think you're wrong. You do know most commercials during network programming are coming from the network, right? They're not inserted at the local affiliate (while some are, those are mainly locally sold). Picture the Super Bowl. You can usually tell what's a network spot (and therefore costs millions) and what's a local spot (and MIGHT get to the tens of thousands). It's the same thing that happens every night.

If Autohop was like skipping on a DVR, meaning it was widely available it would have more importance. I think as it was it had more relevance to the major Networks rather than the local themselves. Judging from what DISH has said over time, I think the problem that has happened it two folded. One the escalating cost and of course it isn't only DISH who started to complain about it, but second just like A&E and some others with their programming local programming is being made available for free in many cases. Their local news, local talk/information shows are on their apps and seem to be live. For the Network programming It isn't the night of the show but sometimes soon after in various ways those shows are available for no cost. Another words the product has been devalued some while costs to the provider go up. The argument DISH made to A&E when they had the dispute.

We are in that exact situation. My Wife watches the local CBS for news in the morning, at night, their daytime talk/information show, and many CBS shows. With some help she has found ways to so far watch everything for free, Soap Opera is made available for free the next day, and local programming can be watched free. Even the CBS morning news can be watched on CBSN. When Fall comes it might then cost money to pay for CBS all access but so far the loss of CBS has been minimized for no cost.

If Autohop was like skipping on a DVR, meaning it was widely available it would have more importance. I think as it was it had more relevance to the major Networks rather than the local themselves. Judging from what DISH has said over time, I think the problem that has happened it two folded. One the escalating cost and of course it isn't only DISH who started to complain about it, but second just like A&E and some others with their programming local programming is being made available for free in many cases. Their local news, local talk/information shows are on their apps and seem to be live. For the Network programming It isn't the night of the show but sometimes soon after in various ways those shows are available for no cost. Another words the product has been devalued some while costs to the provider go up. The argument DISH made to A&E when they had the dispute.

We are in that exact situation. My Wife watches the local CBS for news in the morning, at night, their daytime talk/information show, and many CBS shows. With some help she has found ways to so far watch everything for free, Soap Opera is made available for free the next day, and local programming can be watched free. Even the CBS morning news can be watched on CBSN. When Fall comes it might then cost money to pay for CBS all access but so far the loss of CBS has been minimized for no cost.
I would think most local news stations will stream their newscasts live for free on their websites. The network and syndicated shows they can't do without express permission. My only argument in this thread is that I don't think autohop really gives Dish leverage (as claimed earlier) when it comes to negotiations with local broadcasters. If it did, it must not have helped the Meredith dispute.

Until the release of the new seasons and the NFL starting up its regular season. Let’s watch it then.
But wouldn't the release of the new seasons and NFL starting up regular season be their own reasons/leverage for getting the deal done? So if a deal happens right as the new shows/regular season start, are you going to say "look, I was right, autohop was used as leverage"?

It wouldn’t be leverage really at all for Meredith, as long as the majority can continue to get an OTA antenna from Dish.

The NFL season having a motivation for an agreement by either side depends on the believed impact. Does DISH have enough customers in those 9 markets to impact ad revenue to those locals? Will a portion of those people affected if they stay with DISH watch somewhere else? For DISH will they make some concessions, are there that many subscribers in those markets waiting for the NFL season to decide to stay or go or again will just watch somewhere else or already left?
I agree Autohop was a concern at the begining, but I don't see it being so since DISH modified it's use.

Reactions: sam_gordon
The NFL season having a motivation for an agreement by either side depends on the believed impact. Does DISH have enough customers in those 9 markets to impact ad revenue to those locals? Will a portion of those people affected if they stay with DISH watch somewhere else? For DISH will they make some concessions, are there that many subscribers in those markets waiting for the NFL season to decide to stay or go or again will just watch somewhere else or already left?
I agree Autohop was a concern at the begining, but I don't see it being so since DISH modified it's use.
It’s not modified when there is no contract, however. I am getting all my CBS shows autohopped next morning.

It’s not modified when there is no contract, however. I am getting all my CBS shows autohopped next morning.

How does the dispute with Meredith stations that are CBS affect other CBS stations, they all have contracts and obviously you aren't watching a Meredith CBS station.

How does the dispute with Meredith stations that are CBS affect other CBS stations, they all have contracts and obviously you aren't watching a Meredith CBS station.
I am watching a Meredith station(KPHO), OTA. It has next day Autohop as there are no more contractual restrictions on it currently. Next day is not an option on CBS’s that are not in dispute.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am watching a Meredith station(KPHO), OTA. It has next day Autohop as there are no more contractual restrictions on it currently. Next day is not an option on CBS’s that are not in dispute.
Also if you do not subscribe to the Sat Locals, next day AutoHop works on all the PTAT locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)