Phone Call from Dish

snl1974

Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Has anyone ever received a call from Dish Network in which they told you that you had a low signal and they wanted to send a tech out to work on it? We got a call like that tonight and I just thought it was strange. We haven't been experiencing any problems. When I inquired further they said it was more of a preventative measure. Just thought it was odd and wondered if anyone had this happen before.

It is legit, dish knows all of that sh*t, they get flags on accounts for signal issues that your receivers may report.

I got a "Robo Call" tonight, didn't understand all of the call, but the last part asked me to press "1" for a trip to Disney????
ANYONE heard of this call?
They said they were with Dish Network.

It's part of a software update awhile back... "STB Health" (Set top box), where if the receiver is seeing low signals, when it dials in to dish (phone line/ethernet) it will alert them of a problem... you may not notice a problem however there is a problem.

I've gotten one a few months back, I told them no... I still haven't peaked my dish and they haven't called back.

Check your bill. It's supposed to be a free call and sure enough it showed up on my bill as a service call.

I wonder what they would do if you setup your own satellites for EA and they found a signal issue before it is supposed to be available for existing subscribers.

I got a "Robo Call" tonight, didn't understand all of the call, but the last part asked me to press "1" for a trip to Disney????
ANYONE heard of this call?
They said they were with Dish Network.

I believe others have posted similar. Sortof a scam by a dealer. Avoid.

Got the same call about 2 months ago, They showed up to find nothing wrong total waste of time for them and me. But I did hit the guy up for 150 feet of wire. I wanted to replace a piece that I had spliced.

I have went out on some of those STB health trouble calls and found that usually it is usually caused by low standards in the original installation. For example, hopping onto RG-59, low freq fittings or barrels. One time I found at least 8 barrels in the cable. Seemed that the sub just linked a bunch of cable up he had left.

I have went out on some of those STB health trouble calls and found that usually it is usually caused by low standards in the original installation. For example, hopping onto RG-59, low freq fittings or barrels. One time I found at least 8 barrels in the cable. Seemed that the sub just linked a bunch of cable up he had left.

My understanding is that the Dish installers are supposed to replace the RG-59 when they find it.

Do they? Not in my experience.

fitzie

Has anyone ever received a call from Dish Network in which they told you that you had a low signal and they wanted to send a tech out to work on it? We got a call like that tonight and I just thought it was strange. We haven't been experiencing any problems. When I inquired further they said it was more of a preventative measure. Just thought it was odd and wondered if anyone had this happen before.

Yes. That's one of the reasons they want a phone line connected. If the signal drops below a certain threshold, Dish will call to set up an appointment to repeak the dish. The receiver sends it's status to Dish including a set top box health report. The hope is that if Dish can catch a potential problem before it becomes a real problem, you are less likely to have a loss of service. The status report also includes diagnostics of the receiver's hardware. If the receiver is malfunctioning, Dish can know about it and fix it, before it becomes a problem for you.

yes it's called a "set top bo:mad:STB) health" call.. I have gone out to several service calls on these. Most times there is indeed something amiss with the cust's system. Soemtimes the STB health cal was generated due to a test during bad weather in which signals would be low or non existent.
What occurs is this: all receivers connected to land based phone lines receive a command via the phone line from Dish to run self diagnostics. If there is anything amiss a CSR calls the customer to report the trouble and then informs a customer they can expect a tech on such and such date

My understanding is that the Dish installers are supposed to replace the RG-59 when they find it.

Do they? Not in my experience.

fitzie
We do not "replace" the RG 59 cable. We run new RG-6 sweep tested to 3ghz and UL listed.
IN rare circumstances where running new cable is impossible due to the construction of the home or customer objection to new cable installation procedures we are forced to use the existing RG 59. The customer MUST sign off on any potential failure..
Hasd a co worker arrive at a 7,000 square foot house in an exclusive golf community. The order called for 6 tv's to be connected to single tuner receivers. BTW this was a two story home with a walkout basement. Essentially a three story home built on a concrete slab......The elctrician muts have been withe r cheap *uck or he used what he had fro coax....You gussed it. RG-59...That crappy cable in home that probably sold for over one million dollars. Long story short the job didn't get done. One the tech told the cust he'd have to pay (OH MY GOD!!!!!) for a very large and involved custom wirirng project. And two the customer didn't want the work done anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)