Phone charge for the 522 and 322

SukkaNut

Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
First off, great site. I can't wait to get setup this Saturday and play with the 522 (Hopefully get the new NBR update).

I know about the charge for the receiver if they are not plugged into a LAN/VoIP line. But do you know if the $5 charge is per receiver or per tuner ($10 vs $20)?

I really want to cancel my lan line considering I hardly ever use it and I use my cell phone for just about everything (Plus I could save $50 bucks a month).

Any help would be appreciated!

It's $5 per box. And it's a "land" line, not LAN line.

I guess it would cost $10 to save $50 in that case.

I have heard that some people have gotten that fee waived if they dont have a land line, they would have to call E* when they receive the bill.

Bad thing tho is even if you pay the fee for not hooking to a phone line. You still get the stupid warning box about the fee if not connected every time you turn the box on.

I have a 522 and vonage and I have to pay a $5 fee due to the 522 will not connect to dias through vonage. The 522 detects the dail tone and dials out but the connection fails everytime. I checked my vonage call log and there was over 120 connection attempts and all failed. I tried the DSL filter putting in reverse and all sorts of things. I just gave up and pay the 5 dollar fee.

phaddon said:
it's a $5.00 per box if the phone line is not hooked up. 2-tvs= 5.00 4-tvs=10.00

later
phaddon
I do believe if you have 1 x22 receiver and its not connected to a phone line they will charge $5 fee(for the second tuner), but if you have 2 x22 receivers and they are not connected to a phone line the will charge $15 fee($5 for the first receiver(second tuner) and $10 for the second receiver($5/ tuner)). Thats if you have no other types of receivers on the account.

C.Lyons said:
I have a 522 and vonage and I have to pay a $5 fee due to the 522 will not connect to dias through vonage. The 522 detects the dail tone and dials out but the connection fails everytime. I checked my vonage call log and there was over 120 connection attempts and all failed. I tried the DSL filter putting in reverse and all sorts of things. I just gave up and pay the 5 dollar fee.
mine works flawless with vonage and the motorloa ata

thiggin2 said:
I do believe if you have 1 x22 receiver and its not connected to a phone line they will charge $5 fee(for the second tuner), but if you have 2 x22 receivers and they are not connected to a phone line the will charge $15 fee($5 for the first receiver(second tuner) and $10 for the second receiver($5/ tuner)). Thats if you have no other types of receivers on the account.

you are correct!!!!

vonage will work okay if you turn off the "bandwidth saver" feature . .

I have Broadvoice VOIP, and it now works as well as a landline.

I just hooked up Vonage today, and my 522 can't dial out. I have the bandwidth saver feature turned off, too.

Does Dish have any plans for receivers with Ethernet ports? I am going to call them and tell them that by forcing me to keep my landline phone, they are costing me an extra $25 a month. And, before anyone says it, I don't want to pay the $5 for not having the receiver connected.

I have Vonage with a Motorola ATA. The only time I got a message that they couldn't dial out was when I accidentally unplugged them. PPV also works.

Have you gone to the diagnostics menu and tested the phone connection?

I have a stupid question about Vonage. I have the Motorola box in my office where the T1 line comes in. I have a cordless phone in the office that covers the entire house. How do you guys get the Vonage line to your receiver? Do you use one of the phone line extender thingys?

Well, I played around with my receiver some more and actually got it to dial out successfully with Vonage. So, it looks like that is not a problem anymore. Oh, I have the Linksys RT32P2.

Is there a contract with Broadvoice? I've also been looking at Broadvox because they have an address book feature which allows the caller id to display customizable names. I called my Vonage number with my cell phone yesterday and it displayed "Wireless caller." On my old POTS line, it displayed my name. I believe you can also block certain numbers or send them to voicemail automatically.

I'm just trying to get the best bang for my buck, and right now Broadvoice and Broadvox are $20 while Vonage is $25. Vonage also lacks some of these advanced call management features, but I've read that Broadvox does not work with Dish. Another plus for Broadvox is they give you one free virtual number.

Anyone know a site that shows a good comparison of all of these services?

Man did I just ramble or what?

n0qcu said:
Bad thing tho is even if you pay the fee for not hooking to a phone line. You still get the stupid warning box about the fee if not connected every time you turn the box on.

You shouldn't if you call Dish and tell them you will not be having your box connected to a landline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts