Phone Connection Failure

misbehaving

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
My second unit (VIP222) suddenly displayed a message warning us that failure to have a phone connection would result in a monthly charge. I do have a phone line connected to the box and has been connected since its installation. I had previously tested that connection through the 222 and knew that it was working. I ran diagnostics and the phone connection failed. I plugged another phone into the jack and it worked perfectly. I checked the plug into the back of the box and it was solid. I checked the caller ID log and calls were listed there that had come in AFTER THE CONNECTION FAILURE message was displayed. ???

Does anybody have any idea's? I don't recall seeing this issue posted here before.

MB

I had a 622 that had its internal modem go bad. They sent me a new unit, and didn't charge me the $5/mo. fee. I would test your unit over the next few days. If you still get the message, call tech support, and they will run a test to determine the cause.

Tom in TX

This seems to be a common problem among many DISH receivers, particularly using the Caller ID feature. I, too, had the same problem, and I found that re-booting the receivers about once a week helped. But, one shouldn't need to do that. I also read in a thread SOMEWHERE around here that a bad ground could interfere with Caller ID and I thought that to be weird since my cheap $5 Caller ID boxes from Big Lots worked just fine. Then after some apparent lightning damage to a couple of breakers in my service panel one month ago, it was discovered that the ground clamp attached to the ground rod had corroded. I was told that the ground clamp should typically remain exposed (above ground) because our red clay soil will eat up a ground clamp. I replaced the clamp and ironically the DISH receiver's Caller ID has worked ever since.

I just received a replacement VIP722DVR as my previous replacement (July) had a broadband failure but the phone interface was fine. This replacement: the phone If FAULURE shows in the diagnostic. The POTS phone line is fine if I take it out of the receiver and put a phone on it.

Dish wants to send a $95 tech out and not replace the receiver. I went through the debugging it down to the receiver by putting the one to be returned in its place. And I told them no on the Maintenance Service, which would boost my monthly retirement budget over the edge, as they said the minimum would be 6 months.

I emailed ceo

I told dish to shove their phone line connection to the unit and if they insisted then they could pick theit stuff up and move on down the road. The "suddenly" didn't see any real need for me to have a phone line anymore. I don't think my phone and sat TV are related and I sure as hell don't need to provide Dish with a phone line for some unexplained use!

If you don't do PPV why do they want it anyway .... keep track of what you do or what?

I don't care about the outgoing. I want CallerID. I have broadband for the connection through the Review and on to the internet. But for caller ID to work, I need that. Of course, a cheap Caller ID display would work.

The connection is not mandatory, but if a tech hooks it up for you it is because promotion and incentive programs are based partially on connectivity percentage.

I get asked this all the time, and yes, the main purpose is to try to encourage people to order movies. Connectivity also allows you to view and pay your bill, access CallerID, change programming, and run diagnostic tests.

The connection is mandatory for a currently advertised feature. The Dish Channel's ad mentions and shows CallerID. Therefor it IS included in their systems and for it to work, the blasted phone interface has to work.

I believe the connection was mandatory and if you did not provide it they charged you an additional $5/month.

I think the connection is used to send you viewing habits back to dish and they in turn sell the information which is ultimately used to justify the already high cost of some channels.

I believe the connection was mandatory and if you did not provide it they charged you an additional $5/month.

I think the connection is used to send you viewing habits back to dish and they in turn sell the information which is ultimately used to justify the already high cost of some channels.

Only if you don't have broadband are the viewing habits sent this way. The only thing phone is used for when you have broadband is CallerID. I am simply buying a stand along caller ID unit that we can see from a distance. They run from < $3 ->$80 on amazon.

I disconnected all of my receivers (622, 211, 301) when I went to DSL in July. I didn't have enough filters and so far I haven't gotten around to rewiring the phone system to filter all the phone lines at the entrance with a single filter. I did not connect any of the receivers to the hub. So far, no warnings and no calls from Dish. I'd like to keep it that way...

Only if you don't have broadband are the viewing habits sent this way. The only thing phone is used for when you have broadband is CallerID. I am simply buying a stand along caller ID unit that we can see from a distance. They run from < $3 ->$80 on amazon.

Same thing - either a phone or DSL line to collect and dispatch your data so they can sell it.

Phone connection was used to remove the tv2 connection fee UP UNTIL the pricing changes last June. There's no connection fee anymore, but some receivers still prompt for a phone line

I just went through a 722 replacement due to the 722 partially shorting out my phone line, even with the 722 powered down completely. The phone connection test on the 722 failed, of course, and when it was connected the cable modem constantly saw an off hook condition on the phone line. The new replacement is working fine, including CallerID.

If you can manage to put your DSL modem on the incoming wire and all other phones and receivers downstream from that you need at most one filter, which is usually in the modem. Additional filters are required on any line connected upstream (toward the street) from the DSL filter. Without a filter the receivers will not work.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)