Phone & Internet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I would be spending significantly more with Cox for the bundle discount, after getting a box at $20 per room for HD dvr(their Contour system) and losing a tuner. Also cannot rearrange my boxes the way I can with Dish, and would be paying significantly more in taxes(they force phone on people.) There is nothing like Dish or DTV in Arizona, and in all honesty, perfect satellite location, geographically. Storms are not that bad and signal rarely goes out on either system.

I would be spending significantly more with Cox for the bundle discount, after getting a box at $20 per room for HD dvr(their Contour system) and losing a tuner. Also cannot rearrange my boxes the way I can with Dish, and would be paying significantly more in taxes(they force phone on people.) There is nothing like Dish or DTV in Arizona, and in all honesty, perfect satellite location, geographically. Storms are not that bad and signal rarely goes out on either system.

I have TWC internet abd use Vonage as my phone service. I have a plan that includes 400 minutes of phone per month for$19.95. They don't advertise it, but it's there.
So look for a better VOIP than your current price.

I'm curious if anyone who has DSL as their only HSI choice has dropped phone service from their DSL and gone VOIP? Right now I'm paying $110 a month for 3.0 DSL with phone service. Think the DSL is $50 of that. Don't know if my company (Fairpoint Communications) even sells DSL without phone. We have decent cell service here so have also considered dropping land line completely but don't know if I can keep my internet with out land line. No cable here and no LTE.

I'm curious if anyone who has DSL as their only HSI choice has dropped phone service from their DSL and gone VOIP? Right now I'm paying $110 a month for 3.0 DSL with phone service. Think the DSL is $50 of that. Don't know if my company (Fairpoint Communications) even sells DSL without phone. We have decent cell service here so have also considered dropping land line completely but don't know if I can keep my internet with out land line. No cable here and no LTE.
I did just that many years ago with AT&T. It's called "naked DSL", and it was very difficult to get them to do it, although, as I understand, they are required by law to offer the option.

Nix that. That requirement was only temporary. You're probably out of luck.

And all of these bundling deals will be subject to change after the FCC makes the internet a public utility under Title II of the Communication Act of 1934. And the change won't be in your favor.

I don't think any of us know what that will mean. It could mean they have to allow the same speed to all companies who use it, or it may not enforce that. It may mean price controls. But don't get too happy with that, the price controls on electric for insistence simply mean they get the increase they want, they just have to grovel for it. The best guess I have, with the Government more involved it will cost us much more.

Despite what they tell you when they come to your door, the Government is not there to help you, they are there for more money.

A couple of things I like about Vonage are;
1.Simulring. where it can ring a 2nd phone line. Using nomorobo.com service, it compares the number to their db of scam/phisihing numbers and will disconnect after 1 ring if the number is in the db.
2. Vonage extensions. With this activated, you smart phone will ring any time your home phone is called and you can pick up the call.

VoicePulse has both those things (one done in a different way). But better you can pick any number, partial number, name, partial name etc to block and not rely on a database if you choose. You can pick to ignore all numbers but those you want to get through. You can have any number sent anywhere not all of them to a certain number. Because VoicePulse uses YouMail you can use their options. If a number is identified as Spam by their database it comes up as spam on your phone.

OK, I'm pretty much sold on Ooma but had a question on installation and phoned Ooma CS, my first mistake, the young lady that I spoke to didn't have an answer to my question and proceeded to tell me how Ooma worked, I asked her if there was someone there that had technical knowledge that I could talk to, she put me on hold for 5 min came back and said someone would call me back, that was at 10:30 this morning it is now 5 :20 so I come here for an answer from you tech savvy guys.
I want to port my number also Here is my current setup, installed by Medicome but now have Morris Broadband for my cable phone. From my Airport extreme there is a cable to my cable modem, the cable box has phone jacks on the back, only one works the other is for if you have a second number from them, there is a duplex adapter to the phone jack and the phone line and the line that feeds my wall jacks are connected to the modem through the duplex connector.
My question is if I connect the Ooma to my router and my phone to Ooma and connect the phone line that now goes to the duplex connector to the Ooma phone jack output will it work through that setup so I can activate it or do I have to take the phone and jack cables and connect them together through an inline conductor and then move it back to the modem till my number is ported?
I was going to try it both way to see if it would work but don't want to screw something up so I thought I would ask before I order to see if I will have any problem,

Just unplug from the back of your modem and plug into the Ooma. You'll get a temporary number that will work immediately. But it will take weeks to transfer your old number. So after confirming it works, move the phone line back to your modem to keep getting calls on your old number. Leave Ooma plugged into your router so it will be ready to go when the port is finished. Whenever I set mine up, I don't use it until the port is done.

Last edited:
Just unplug from the back of your modem and plug into the Ooma. You'll get a temporary number that will work immediately. But it will take weeks to transfer your old number. So after confirming it works, move the phone line back to your modem to keep getting calls on your old number. Leave Ooma plugged into your router so it will be ready to go when the port is finished. Whenever I set mine up, I don't use it until the port is done.
Thanks for the reply, I thought that is what I had to do but was not sure, that is why I asked. Ordered today over the phone and the sales rep acted and spoke like he didn't care if I ordered or not. Maybe he is just tired of winter and was having a bad day. Anyhow thanks again for the reply.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts