Phone Line / Modem Connection

shappey200

Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Sorry for the infantile questions, but I am new to the whole dish network industry.

My question concerns the telephone / landline requirement. Dish Network claims that I must have a land line to use the dvr 522, or any other receiver.

What does the dvr 522 use the telephone connection for? Does it use this data connection to download its updates, to retrieve information about your receiver, or to merely transmit a PPV request? Furthermore, can I use my broadband connection for this "necessary" data transfer?

I do not currently have a landline and was not planning on installing one.

Do I need a landline? What kind of functionality will I loose by not having one?

By using your broadband connection, do you mean VOIP? I currently use Vonage phone service and it does work having the phone line plugged into the 522.

The land line is used for PPV I believe. I think they also track your usage as well. I know I get a $5 discount for having my 522 plugged into a phone line. I have heard people on these boards say that they can use Vonage. Do a search for Vonage and you should find what you're looking for.

The bottom line is the phone line isn't technically "required", but they may charge you a fee or something for not having it. Talk to their customer service for a complete answer.

I have my 522 going through Vonage. I had to tweak the quality settings on the Vonage box, and it only came up with the message saying it couldn't connect once.. But I can't remember if I was doing network mainenence right then..

I think the 522 is the ONLY one that needs the phone line, or it costs another 4.95 a month...with the other recievers, it's a good idea, but technically not required, I believe..

which broadband (DSL) service are you using? Or are you using your cable broadband service. I haven't been able to find a DSL provider that will service a location that does not also have telephone service. And I have also found that using cable internet without cable television costs about an extra $10 a month.

The 322 & 522 will cost you an extra $5/Mo. if they are not plugged into a phone line 24/7. This defeats the "big savings" they are using to sell these buggy products, if you don't have a phone line just get the standard receivers your cost will be the same and you will gain the functionality of "S" video inputs or surround sound you can't do with 522/322 RF outputs. If you need 3 or fewer receivers FREE DISH is a better promotion than DHA you will own the equipment rather than just leasing it forever.

I ditched BellSouth for Comcast Cable modem. The Cable is faster, and more reliable, plus I don't need the landline. Vonage and Comcast costs less overall than Bellsouth for Phone and DSL...mostly because of the taxes, regulations, etc...for a phoneline I don't really use..

boba said:
The 322 & 522 will cost you an extra $5/Mo. if they are not plugged into a phone line 24/7. This defeats the "big savings" they are using to sell these buggy products, if you don't have a phone line just get the standard receivers your cost will be the same and you will gain the functionality of "S" video inputs or surround sound you can't do with 522/322 RF outputs. If you need 3 or fewer receivers FREE DISH is a better promotion than DHA you will own the equipment rather than just leasing it forever.
Funny, my 522 has S-video AND optical outputs on TV1; TV2 also has MTS stereo on the RF output. You can't beat that with two 301s or 311s; they have S-video but NOT optical. (Not to mention that no other Dish receiver has an MTS stereo RF modulator.) To beat the 522 on S-video/optical, BOTH separate receivers MUST be either DVR or HD units; those are the ONLY Dish units with optical outputs. And how many people need Dolby Digital in more than one room?

rolandv said:
The land line is used for PPV I believe. I think they also track your usage as well.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Its a known fact that a Tivo logs and phones home your viewing habits. I rarely ever watch any PPV, but yet if I don't have the phone line connected when it does its update a warning will pop up on the screen about the additional charge. So I know its either using the phone to send some sort of data or at least testing it to see if its available during the updates. I would suspect it phoning home my viewing habits though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts