Phone line required?

ColdBrew

Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Someone called today to confirm the wrong install date for Voom. It was someone from Voom (caller ID), but they say they didn't call (when I returned the call)... Anyway that doesn't have anything to do with my question other than I had to call the installer to get a firm install time (the correct time and date).

The installer said their phone lines were only like 15 feet (supplied by voom) and I would need phone lines long enough to reach the receivers or they wouldn't be able to install them. I thought they would just make some custom cables but it seems I was wrong, I would have to buy the phone lines. She said that it downloads the guide through the phone line, which I was really suprised and didn't really believe it.

After getting off the phone, I went to check how far the phone jacks were from the receivers (I'm getting two receivers). One was 34 feet and the other location doesn't have a phone jack in the room. That suprised me because I just figured there was one there. But we use a wireless phone system and my old sat system was D* and didn't require a phone line.

I called up Voom to see what my options were and the guy said just get the phone line for one receiver and not worry about it. The installer should install it anyways. Of course the installer originally told me no way.

I said I could temporarly run a phone line from another room for the install. The guy said that was fine and then I could remove the phone line after the install is done and be okay. He said it will only be used for pay per view when they get it.

What is everyone else's experiance with this? Will I be okay without the phone line?

ColdBrew, Welcome to the forum!
The phone line is not required neither for installation nor for downloads.
Yes, the requirement is in the agreement, but in reality the phone line is not currently used for anything.
So, if the installer insists, run a temporary extender line to make him/her happy! ;)
Good luck!

ColdBrew said:
The installer said their phone lines were only like 15 feet (supplied by voom) and I would need phone lines long enough to reach the receivers or they wouldn't be able to install them. I thought they would just make some custom cables.
I said I could temporarly run a phone line from another room for the install. The guy said that was fine and then I could remove the phone line after the install is done and be okay. He said it will only be used for pay per view when they get it.

same here; I bought a really long extension line for the receivers which weren't going to be located near phone jacks. Now I only have one of three receivers connected. I don't know about the pay 4 view; but the there is a system status - report back feature in the system status which I have tried to use to notify VOOM of how bad my signal strengths have been. The screen appears; but I have not yet been able to use the feature. enjoy the voom..
mike

ancalagonlt81 said:
In Order To Activate Your Service With Voom And That's All That Should Matter To The Installer

Sorry to say put you are wrong on this one Voom requires all IRD to be hook to a phone line. No just one . But Iyla is right they are no being used at this time it is for the future.

t

Report back screen

To my knowledge, the report back screen is used by the installer to verify that trip counts,(hits), are coming thru to the receiver when techs call in to get box activated. In most cases, activate will not have a check mark next to it in the installatin wizard, this is because of no phone line or the tech did not fill in the necessary info for the box to make a call to main system. box still works though. As mentioned in other threads, you can use a wireless phone jack as long as you don't plug it into a surge protector. Voom is not currently enforcing the phone line clause as of this time. All downloads are via satellite, not phone line. Good luck.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm just going to plug the phone line in for long enough to get it installed and then remove it. I don't care for the idea of my phone line running down the hall way.

Never even connected mine. Installer said it was used to d/l program data...seems to be the common response to try and get you to hook it up.
I told the installer that I could go in the basement, grab a 50' phone line and run it to the box, but it would dissappear the moment he did, so he said not to bother ;)

Lob

Installer never hooked mine up. He was not even going to ask me about it. It was me who brought up the conversation. He said I did not need it as it was used for PPV only. So until they get the PPV I am not going to worry over it.

My installer didn't bother to hook up the phone cable. He left it in the box. Funny thing, I taught HIM about the red button on the Voom box! Originally, when he hooked up the DSR-550 to my 27" Wega via component, the screen was going crazy. When 480i was finally selected, everything was fine. He mentioned problems with component hookups before, and afterwards thanked me for the "tip" (red-button info too).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts