Phone line

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Does D* nickel and dime me if I don't have my receivers hooked up to a phoneline? Are there any drawbacks to not have it connected other than no PPV? And will I have to put up with an annoying audit team? Just some basic questions from a new D* sub

Does D* nickel and dime me if I don't have my receivers hooked up to a phoneline? Are there any drawbacks to not have it connected other than no PPV? And will I have to put up with an annoying audit team? Just some basic questions from a new D* sub

None that I'm aware of as far as penalties go. I have mine connected for caller ID.

The old rule used to be that you needed a land phone line connected to your receivers to receive the sports pkgs (ST, EI, CI, etc). I think I read that on DTV's site where that's still required but maybe that requirement's been dropped for the out of mkt sports packs.

An audit team????? Never heard that before. Why would they charge you for not having a land line if it's not required?

yep,

They didn't like my VOIP setup and kept trying to charge $5/month for the receiver not connected to Ethernet although both receivers were connected to my VOIP modem phone line and caller ID working.

The old rule used to be that you needed a land phone line connected to your receivers to receive the sports pkgs (ST, EI, CI, etc). I think I read that on DTV's site where that's still required but maybe that requirement's been dropped for the out of mkt sports packs.

I don't have a land line and I subscribe to EI and CI every year.

Considering that something like 40% (+/-) of the US population no longer has a hard phone line, the practice of charging each month for not having one is just a flat rip off IMHO.

And Charlie wonders why he is bleeding subs.

I don't have a landline either. I couldn't order PPV when I tried once with Directv, but hey, that's not such a bad thing. Other than that, I haven't had any difficulties with anything by not having the phone line connected. Been with Directv about 6 months.

I don't have a landline either. I couldn't order PPV when I tried once with Directv, but hey, that's not such a bad thing. Other than that, I haven't had any difficulties with anything by not having the phone line connected. Been with Directv about 6 months.

The PPV feature will work with ETHERNET connection as well as Video On-Demand (free and $ shows), Media Share and DirecTv2PC if home networked to all DirecTv boxes. MultiroomView will be available soon but no date released. It's being tested in CE (Cutting Edge) Forum.

It seems the only thing missing without the hard line is the caller ID; mine is working with my VOIP.

It is not a fee with Dish if you don't hook up a phone line. You just don't get the discount.....get it straight.

With Direct you don't even have the opption of a dual tuner dual tv receiver. You have a receiver at every location, so you can't get two tv's for the price of one.

yep,

They didn't like my VOIP setup and kept trying to charge $5/month for the receiver not connected to Ethernet although both receivers were connected to my VOIP modem phone line and caller ID working.

It is not a fee with Dish if you don't hook up a phone line. You just don't get the discount.....get it straight.

With Direct you don't even have the opption of a dual tuner dual tv receiver. You have a receiver at every location, so you can't get two tv's for the price of one.

They never said I couldn't have the discount, they just decided I didn't need if I wasn't going to call them every three months and ask for it.

I had two of those fancy dual TV mode receivers; problem was, I was sharing four tuners with 3 TV's. My three DirecTv DVR's are cheaper to lease & DVR service than the two Dish DVR's I leased and that's 6 tuners compared to 4 tuners. (DirecTv Lease=$5/DVR (1st lease free) and only one $6 DVR service fee, comes to $16) (Dish DVR Lease=$7/DVR (1st lease free) but $5.98 DVR fee for each DVR, comes to $18.96 for 2 DVR's and $24.94 for 3 DVR's...OUCH but I think there is a DVR Advantage discount that will net about $1.98 savings but no comparison when looking at leasing multiple DVR's).

When it came to variety in sports and multiple DVR's, DirecTv was a little cheaper for me. It figured about equal when programming is added to the DVR's costs but I've dealt with both and I've had better experiences with DirecTv.

Dish should drop the per DVR charge for DVR service and charge it once per household; otherwise, they're not really cheaper than DirecTv. And that phone line credit just puts Dish over the edge; no longer the lowest price for some.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)