Status
Please reply by conversation.

sobonefnet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 29, 2005
PA
Maybe I am missing something here.
New install was done yesterday. 2 HR22-100s. My phones worked fine for the past 4 years.
I plug both ethernet and phone line to both receivers (for caller ID).
Now as long as the phone lines are plugged into the receivers one or both-doesn't matter my phone doesnt ring, goes directly to voice mail.
Remove the phone lines from the receivers, phone rings with no problems.
I have checked both jacks and have plugged phones in to these jacks, no problem.

Please tell me I am missing something here.

From what you have tested it sounds like a problem in the receiver. Try running the phone test with the system test in the receivers.

I do phone repairs and this has come up but is rare. The last one was fixed by correctly grounding the DTV system. The complaint was caller ID and grounding fixed that.

Could be the DTV box.

Joe

If your capable, go out to the phone box and swap the polarity.
See if that takes care of your trouble.

If not, call the phone company.
If it turns out to be a rec. issue, call D* and have them replace it, could have a bad modem.

Jimbo

Both receivers do it.

As soon as I plug the phone line in to EITHER of the receivers, it takes the phone off the hook.

All I did was unplug the phone line from the back of the Dish Network receiver (just cancelled) and plugged it in to the HR22.

This make no sense at all....

then if the phone works and the old DISH receiver worked my GUESS is that the modem is stuck of the hook or is bad.

I understand where your coming from. But, I tend to not think that is the problem considering both of my receivers are doing the same thing to the phone line. What are the chances of having the same problem with 2 receivers??

I understand where your coming from. But, I tend to not think that is the problem considering both of my receivers are doing the same thing to the phone line. What are the chances of having the same problem with 2 receivers??

I suppose it could happen.
Look at the phone jk closely, is there anything stuck in them ?
Why did you connect the ethernet for the phone ?

IF you happened to hook the standard phone cord into the ethernet connection it will throw a short on the line every time.
Make sure your in the right connection, you need the phone line for the phone, not the ethernet connection.

I have often see people that move and set up thier computers at the new location and plug the reg. phone into the ethernet and kill the phones right away. Same idea ...

Jimbo

The ethernet cable is in the ethernet jack. The phone in the phone jack.
Here is another weird characteristic of this problem.
I pick the phone up and I have a dial tone, I then grab the phone line (on a different jack) and plug it in to the receiver, BANG no more dial tone in my ear.
I understand that there is no need for the phone line to be used if the ethernet connection is already established. But, I really need the callerID to work.

Are these your garden-variety stand-alone phones or a digital multi-line system?

In other words, can you buy a $10 phone at Wal-Mart and use it, or is it an office-type system?

The DirecTV receiver is not likely to work with a "PBX-type" system.

very standard phone system. everyday phones. nothing special. as I said before this jack worked for 4 years with the dish receiver.

Sounds like you are over you limit on the REN for your phone circuit. Basically you phone system in the house is now drawing too much power to ring the phones. Try unplugging some phones and see which one is the big draw. Some phones will have their REN etched on the bottom.

I already unplugged all the phones in the house and still had the same problem.
The only other element to this equation I can look at now is my phone provider (Vonage).
But as I stated before, why would one receiver work flawlessly for years, and these 2 not?

I've got an hr20 and hr21 both on my Vonage line and they work and use caller ID flawlessly! I bet you have the polarity swapped at the jacks and this is causing the problems.

I will tear the jack apart tonight and see what is what. These receivers must be ultra picky......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts