Phone problems!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would suggest getting a jack tester at a home improvement store before tearing the jack about to check. Home Depot has one for about $10 that can tell you if the polarity is switched and if there is any AC on the line.

so if I plug a phone in and get an dial tone, this doesn't garauntee the receiver will work?

Believe it or not, I have the EXACT same problem. Do you by any chance have AT&T?

I've got an hr20 and hr21 both on my Vonage line and they work and use caller ID flawlessly! I bet you have the polarity swapped at the jacks and this is causing the problems.

Great thought!

I mentioned this earlier.

Don't tear your jacks apart, swap the line at the Network Interface, much easier to do.
btw, this will NOT fix your trouble, but it may fix the Caller Id issue.
If you are losing Dial tone when you plug the phone into the rec. and it IS in the phone jk not the ethernet connection then the trouble is in your Rec. jk and or modem, you will need to have the rec's replaced.
You've already proved the trouble is only when it's connected to the rec. so it's trouble with the rec modem.
Nothing you can do about it other than replace the box.

Jimbo

I would suggest getting a jack tester at a home improvement store before tearing the jack about to check. Home Depot has one for about $10 that can tell you if the polarity is switched and if there is any AC on the line.

Polarity mean NOTHING in todays phones, but it will sometimes effect your Caller ID features.

Jimbo

Ok - this has been bugging me all day. So, off to Lowes and I bought a phone line tester.

I just checked every lousy phone jack in the house. All come back "Line correct".

So now I am stuck with 2 - two day old HR-22's that kill my phones when plugged in.

I am assuming this is going to be an uphill battle. First, D* is going to tell me "You dont need that phone line plugged in considering you have the ethernet connection" then "we find it nearly impossible that you have two receivers with the same problem".

Any suggestions as to how I can handle this and get some results??

Find somebody with DTV in PA to lend you their receiver to test out at your house. Alternatively, take your H22 to any of your neighbors with DTV & see if it messes up their phone lines. I suppose it's possible, but I find it unlikely that both shipped with failed modems.

Ok - this has been bugging me all day. So, off to Lowes and I bought a phone line tester.

I just checked every lousy phone jack in the house. All come back "Line correct".

So now I am stuck with 2 - two day old HR-22's that kill my phones when plugged in.

I am assuming this is going to be an uphill battle. First, D* is going to tell me "You dont need that phone line plugged in considering you have the ethernet connection" then "we find it nearly impossible that you have two receivers with the same problem".

They are new boxes, call D* back and tell them what is happening and that the phone cuts out when the line gets plugged in and is fine when it's unplugged, they should send you new ones out.
Be glad they are doing this right now and not months in when you have shows invested in the current box .

They should replace them without too much trouble, they may want to send a tech out to verify that everything is hooked up right.

Jimbo

If you installed them, they'll fedex replacements. If an installer put them in, they my have the installer come back out with new boxes, considering installers are to connect and test phone to receiver.

Based on above, it could be dead modems. Perhaps they took a spike during install or came from a bad lot.

If you're sure on your wiring etc, that's all that is left.

Or another possibility is that your overloading the number of lines you can put on your vonage device. I have four lines connected to my Motorola/Vonage router. Two are phone lines, one to my HR20 and one to my HR21. Mine work correctly and Caller ID works on the second ring with data.

Maybe you have another device other than the Motorola for Vonage??

Or another possibility is that your overloading the number of lines you can put on your vonage device. I have four lines connected to my Motorola/Vonage router. Two are phone lines, one to my HR20 and one to my HR21. Mine work correctly and Caller ID works on the second ring with data.

Maybe you have another device other than the Motorola for Vonage??

i think you have it... directvs boxes use the voltage on the line, effectively taking it off hook... (could have a grounding issue btw) whereas dishs did not...

check for propper grounding of everything first.. and how many devices total do you have plugged in? the max for home voip is 5 but decreases based on distance and cable runs

Go outside and follow teh cable runs from the dish to the house and make sure it is bonded to the homes electrical system. You should see a ground block with a Black line from the dish and a green line to the houses ground wire. Also if possible test the electrical outlets for proper polarity, $4 item at Home Depot.

Do you still have your E* box? if so plug it in as though it was a E* dish and see if it happens still.

Status
Please reply by conversation.