Phone test via reciver - questioning dtv tech support

Status
Please reply by conversation.

th4roct

Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
NV
I've had issues for a while ordering ppv via my directv hd receiver. After spending an hour on the phone with one rep, we verified the jack, the phone cable from the wall to the reciever and everything checks out. She had showed me how to run a test through the on-screen setup menu (hold Info down on the remote then hit the green button on the remote to get to this screen). She ordered a "callback" from my receiver and told me that would take a while (up to 24 hrs!). So when I got off the phone and freed up the line I thought it would make sense to run the test. Remember that we've verified the jack and the line and nobody is on the phone). So I run the test and the phone test failed. Now _I_ think that this phone test wouldn't require a successful "callback" before it would pass. But when I called DTV back, the new (and surly) rep said it did. I admit that I haven't ever troubleshot these receivers for a living but in the technical things I've worked in, a test like that is generally an outbound test to ensure that there is a dialtone and maybe even initiate a connection.
So my question to this forum... (sorry to be longwinded, just trying to be complete) - does the onscreen phone test on a dtv hd reciever need a successful "callback" prior to that test passing?
thanks! great forum

Yes it does or after 48 hours or less it disables PPV ordering via remote.

The modem for the phone is super sensitive.. ie if it was making a call and you picked up the line it would already be on a dial tone before you got the phone to your ear. So in my experience if you have static on that line or DSL and no filter, the modem will think the line is in use and not call out or ping. They had to do this to comply with 911 regulations.

Some thing to look at.. if you have a newer 2 sided NID phone box outside.. make sure that line is a home run and not shared or spliced into another line. Also if the line has been biscuit jacked o spliced it may be to much line noise to work properly.

If all else fails (assuming you have a HDDVR) you can connect it to your router via direct cat5/wireless or through a powerline adapter.

good to know!

Ok, so at least surly rep wasn't simply lying to me. :) The telephony interface box on the outside is older/standard so it should not be spliced or shared with any other line. We've had satellite TV (both DTV and Dish) for years and have had no trouble up until we got the new HDDVR receiver. No changes have been made to the wiring in the house. And I know at some point we've ordered through the new reciever although it has been a while.
We tried again later tonight and still couldn't use the onscreen ordering. I'll wait until tomorrow to call them back. At this point there is nothing left other than replacing the receiver. Since I don't have phone issues we can't know that is a problem until we try another receiver.
I appreciate the response!

You don't need a phone line to order PPV, use there web site, that way it shows on all T.V.s.

Unless you have a DirecTivo, you don't need a phone line at all.

You don't need a phone line to order PPV, use there web site, that way it shows on all T.V.s.

Unless you have a DirecTivo, you don't need a phone line at all.

Bingo. I always order online because of the PPV on all TVs feature of ordering online.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)