PI-21 21v Power Inserter Really Required??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tobwco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Outer Banks
Techs, Installers info requested.
I installed a H-21-200 Receiver, DIRECTV AU9-SL5-SWM Slimline Ku/Ka Dish & a SL5-SWM LNBF. All is working fine. I did not hook up the required DIRECTV PI-21 21v Power Inserter. I have 21V off the receiver, why does DirecTV & Sadoun say that unit is required? Should I hook it up anyway? Sadoun says they will charge a restocking fee to take it back. Getting all channels & HD locals.

Thanks in advance for any input.

This would be the first time I have heard of a SWM system working without the inserter. Every other one I have seen fails the instant that the power inserter lost power.

This would be the first time I have heard of a SWM system working without the inserter. Every other one I have seen fails the instant that the power inserter lost power.

I'm getting 21V at the dish w/ the receivers power. I have a straight run w/o diplexers or splitters. So that is why I wonder why it is required.

That's different since the voltage out of the receiver doesn't get fed through the PI. I recall hearing when SWM first came out that it might work in limited situations without a PI, but it wouldn't in many cases so they specified that a PI be used. Of course, the SWM8 requires a higher voltage and the SWM LNB might work in cases where a standalone SWM will not. If it were me, I'd use it to avoid possible future problems.

Yea I just tested my receivers in SWM mode and there was no voltage output from the Sat in while the rec was in the sat test screen nor on a channel. This was on 2 HR22-200 using a SWMline5.

If you are getting 20-22v at the LNB, try testing it right at the back of the box. Curious where it is coming from as that is the sole reason you have to use the PI-21/28 to power a SWM setup. The Receivers just do not have the physical capability.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)