Picked up a 10' Unimesh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Inno

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
NW Ontario, Canada
This dish has been mine for quite some time but I just got around to picking it up last night. It belonged to a lady my Mom played bridge with who unfortunately just passed away from lung cancer.
I worked on it around 2 years ago when the actuator went out and all she wanted was for it to be set up so she could watch the Sci-Fi channel, she didn't want to put any money into it. So I did that manually for her and shortly after that Sci-Fi went digital so she stopped using it as she had a Star Choice sub for her main watching. I asked her if she wanted it removed and she said "absolutely!". Since then she fell ill and I ran some cable for her and hooked up her Star Choice in her bedroom so she could watch from there as she was too weak to make it to the living room.
She passed away about a month ago and I don't think I'll ever work on that dish without thinking about her.......one heck of a nice lady with a spunky personality right up 'till the end.

She mentioned to her sister in my presence that I was to get the dish so I got a phone call earlier this week to ask if I still wanted it and of course I did.
So I took about an hour last night and removed it from the mount and split it in two halves. It is quite a bit lighter than my Orbitron is (thank goodness!) so I was able to handle it easily without doing too much damage.
It has a decent LNB, a 21° Norsat which as far as I know still works well. The actuator I know to be bad but that's ok.
I'll post pictures when I can. The dish looked nice and straight as I sighted across from side to side and aside from a few hail dents and some moss growing on it, it's in very good shape!

Thanks Pat!! We'll miss you.

So here it is.......not much to see all taken apart. The dish in two halves, a couple of mounting posts (the one on the right I got last night), the mount and the LNB.
The last picture is of my current setup. The wooden frame was an idea I had for future expansion. We'll see how well it holds up. In these parts the frost goes down 4 feet or more so to cement something into the ground is a big job. Most C-Band dishes I've seen in this area were installed on 3'x6' cement pads with adjustments for movement.

Attachments

• P1010034.JPG
    P1010034.JPG
    549.9 KB · Views: 214
  • P1010035.JPG
    P1010035.JPG
    553.8 KB · Views: 200
  • P1010036.JPG
    P1010036.JPG
    650.7 KB · Views: 182
  • P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 189
  • P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 180
  • P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    529.5 KB · Views: 228
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)