Status
Please reply by conversation.

fred555

Pub Member
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
77W
I see some decent deals here from time to time, went ahead and bought something:
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/browse/home
search for satellite.

Picked up this dish at that site. Paid more than I wanted to, $122 but anyhow here it is:

dish1.jpg

v1.jpg vv2.jpg c1.jpg c2.jpg

Venture actuator, Chaparral C/Ku Feedhorn and pole.

Congrats on the find!! And from what I can see in those pics, $122 isn't too much for that dish!! I just love it when these old dishes are put to good use again!!!

ENJOY!

Reactions: fred555
I would love to get another free Winegard 10' Quadstar brand new in the box again, but this one will get put to good use.
Too funny. That's exactly the dish I want to try and mount to a Birdview mount I have :) Winegard Quadstar

Good score. That actuator is the same one I have on my 10' Perfect 10 mesh dish...22 years and still going strong.

Is there anything I should do to it such as cleaning or lubrication? If so how ?

Is there anything I should do to it such as cleaning or lubrication? If so how ?

Mine has a grease zerk right where the tube meets the motor housing, and I fully extend it occasionally and spray some silicone lube on it. If the inner tube is rusty you might take some emery cloth to it and clean it up first.

Reactions: fred555
The decal on this actuator says Venture but it's made like a Super Jack? I've got a Super Jack and a Venture here and yours looks like the Super Jack, not the Venture? I guess this doesn't matter as long as it works.

Inner tube on this one looks like it might be coated aluminum (Super Jacks are like this) so check it with a magnet BEFORE you go sanding on it to clean it up!

It also appears that the seal for the outer to inner shaft is missing? If that's the case then you might want to try to find a new one or fabricate something to keep the crap and water out. I've used a piece of radiator hose and clamps to do this in the past, with some degree of success.

Mine has lube instructions on a tag thats stuck on it.

Here are some more pictures. I'm pretty sure the dish was installed then never used. Luckily for me the actuator was in the fully retracted position and stayed that way. I grabbed a Dewalt 18V and ran the shaft all the way out. Looks like brand new:

shaft.jpg

It also appears that the seal for the outer to inner shaft is missing? If that's the case then you might want to try to find a new one or fabricate something to keep the crap and water out. I've used a piece of radiator hose and clamps to do this in the past, with some degree of success.

Is this the seal?

seal.jpg

Here is the inside of the cover:

diagram.jpg

The guts look good too:

guts.jpg

Hopefully the pictures will help ID it further.

My two Ventures don't look like that inside, but that don't mean they had a different model or changed something along the way.

Thanks, it does not look like a Venture on the inside after looking through technical drawings of genuine Venture products.
It works so it should be usable to some degree whatever brand it might be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)