pics of verizon fios setup

Thanks for the pics, Jet and Korsjs.
That equip looks pretty cool and I bet pretty pricey. :) I am sure they would get that back should you ever cancel service.

They all have the TV part. If yours is like mine, a 9/16" socket (or one around that size) should open it.

Yeah, just a socket wrench opened it for me. They didn't install any lock on it. What is really nice is the status lights inside.

that's what i wanted to check on before i started tinkering with it. i will open mine sometime this week. you guys got to love the speed of the internet. i test anywhere from 14.5 to a little over 15 on mine and average around 1.3 - 1.6 for upload. i wish i could get the upload a little higher without going to the 200 dollar package.

The AFC branded ONTs (Optical Network Terminals) are pretty pricy. AFC does not get a very big margin on them and Verizon is still paying through the nose. In the coming months Verizon will be switching to the Vincini designed ONTs. AFC bought Vincini a while back and the Vincini ONTs are cheaper to manufacture and give AFC a bigger margin. The Vincini ONTs are going through trials in Verizon labs but will be in the field soon. There will also be Motorola ONTs in the not too distant future. Motorola's are going through testing as well.

Overall the new ONTs should drive down the cost for Verizon. These new terminals will seem the same in terms of performance.

I believe FIOS stands for FI ber O ptic S ervices. The more technical term verizon uses is FTTP which means fiber-to-the-premises.

someone correct me if i am wrong.

korsjs said:
I believe FIOS stands for FI ber O ptic S ervices. The more technical term verizon uses is FTTP which means fiber-to-the-premises.

someone correct me if i am wrong.

I pretty sure you are right, but it may be Fiber Optic System (I'm not entirely sure myself :) )

korsjs is correct

FiOS = Fiber Optic Service (note the little "i")
FTTP = Fiber to the Premises as stated and is the actual tech term, but marketing deemed it too close to FTP so marketing name is FIOS

korsjs said:
whatever we they deceided to call it, i love it. bring on fios tv.

So is FiOS TV a traditional cabletv (QAM/RF) based service delivered over their fiber network or is it truly IP-based (IPTV) technology?

i am not sure of the technical aspects, but my installer of fios internet told me that my existing coax would be connected to the box outside and it would use my existing coax runs.

i have also heard that it would be delivered by ethernet cable. i don't know for sure.

bring on fios tv.

digitalworld said:
So is FiOS TV a traditional cabletv (QAM/RF) based service delivered over their fiber network or is it truly IP-based (IPTV) technology?
Welcome to the forum, digitalworld!

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that FiOS TV is 100% digital IPTV.

They dug up my yard two months ago...but apparently its not lit up yet.

digitalworld said:

Verizon's salvo on cable tv
April 20, 2005, 4:00 AM PDT
By Marguerite Reardon and Jim Hu
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

...snip...

In order to get to market quickly, Verizon has been forced to make some compromises in terms of the technology and the kind of service it will offer. Instead of using the more cutting-edge IP technology, Verizon's television service will initially be based on traditional broadcast technology that will allow it to deliver digital and high-definition television over its network, a service that is almost identical to what cable companies currently offer. It plans to add IP capabilities to the service later.

Attachments

• verizonPON.jpg
    verizonPON.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the clarification, rtt2! :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)