Picture clarity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
For Visio 4K tv's, try the 720p setting in the dish, and let the TV upscale it. I noticed an improvement.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app
My Vizio D series 50" 4k tv doesn't upscale anything to 4k unless it is in 1080p. Says it in the directions I got with the tv. So no upscale on DISH or even ota or analog cable plugged into the tuner. My DISH sat signal shows only 1080i. Now the Netflix app on my hopper 3 is in 1080p ,so it goes right to 2160p upscaled when I use it . The only time I can see DISH in 2160p is when I select multi view 4 screens and then it will show 2160p on the tv. The Philips 4k tv I had before this ,that I sent back to Sears for credit, did upscale everything to 4k resolution ,even the ota tuner. So this Vizio tv is not as good as the Philips ,except for picture quality and flesh tones. The Philips had horrible colors and I could never get the ambient light sensor to work correctly. It was either to dark or I would turn it off and then the picture was to bright. No middle ground. That is why I gave up after a month and sent it back to Sears for credit , that I am still waiting for .

My Vizio D series 50" 4k tv doesn't upscale anything to 4k unless it is in 1080p. Says it in the directions I got with the tv. So no upscale on DISH or even ota or analog cable plugged into the tuner. My DISH sat signal shows only 1080i. Now the Netflix app on my hopper 3 is in 1080p ,so it goes right to 2160p upscaled when I use it . The only time I can see DISH in 2160p is when I select multi view 4 screens and then it will show 2160p on the tv. The Philips 4k tv I had before this ,that I sent back to Sears for credit, did upscale everything to 4k resolution ,even the ota tuner. So this Vizio tv is not as good as the Philips ,except for picture quality and flesh tones. The Philips had horrible colors and I could never get the ambient light sensor to work correctly. It was either to dark or I would turn it off and then the picture was to bright. No middle ground. That is why I gave up after a month and sent it back to Sears for credit , that I am still waiting for .

All 4K TVs scale the input signal (no matter what it is) to the TVs panel native resolution of 2160. There are no exceptions to this.
Gerry

Reactions: Troch77
All 4K TVs scale the input signal (no matter what it is) to the TVs panel native resolution of 2160. There are no exceptions to this.
Gerry
Exactly
If it didn't your 720 and 1080 would be picture framed in Black or Grey just like Native 480 is now on your 1920x1080 tv.

No matter what your 4K tvs are up converting the Dish source.
So are all your 1080p tvs.

Ok from my instruction booklet Viewing Ultra HD content it says :

Upscale "1080p" Full HD Content to Ultra HD

"Watch your favorite HD tv shows , movies, and sports Upscaled to beautiful Ultra HD resolution with Vizio's Spatial Scaling Engine (SSE). "

Now like I have said before , when I use the Netflix app through my hopper 3 ,the picture then goes from 1080p to 2160p upscaled. I hit information button on my remote control and it shows this under picture resolution 2160p. I can also watch true 4k shows on Netflix and it will show 2160p as well. When I go back to satellite picture it shows only 1080i. When I use my ota tuner I get what ever resolution the analog cable is from 480i to 1080i depending on what channel I am watching. The picture isn't even as that good and you can see grainy pictures unless you use the clear action feature under the picture control settings.

So comparing this tv to the Philips 4k tv I had before it, on the Philips tv you can see it say upscaled on true 4k and scaled on the rest under picture settings. You can't tell using the Vizio tv whether it is scaled or upscaled under the picture settings. But the directions booklet clearly say Upscale all content to Ultra hd using 1080p content . My 4k a/v receiver passes the signal through to my 4k tv from all sources and my 4k blu ray player also shows all shows on it in 2160p when I use it. I just don't get this feature from my satellite box. Maybe if DISH would allow us to put our receiver in 1080p ,then I could see it upscale to 2160p like my blu ray player does or my sat receiver does when I use the Netflix app. I hope that the tv upscales all content regardless of resolution to Ultra Hd 2160p ,but I really can't tell that using my tv right now and the directions say different.

A TV can only produce what its Native resolution is.

It Upconverts everything to its Native resolution. Doesn't matter what your Info screen says.
Thats only telling you the Resolution of the source.

Where is all this coming from? 4k TVs upscale all content to 2160 resolution. Both 1080i and 1080p look better than they do on a 1080p set. Even Dish's SD channels look better.

If you have found a 4k TV that doesn't use upscaling algorithms to improve the picture, you shouldn't waste your money.

I have a Vizio 4K. It displays ALL programming in UHD no matter what the source is. If you are watching UHD programming and look at the resolution on the TV or app it will show the source is 2160p. If the source is 1080p, 1080i, 720p or 480 it will show it as what it is. There is nothing wrong with the way it is working for you, that is the way it is suppose to work.

Ok. I guess I was hoping that the tv would be more like the Philips and show it was upscaled in the picture controls settings . That and the instruction booklet says something different.

It is showing it is being upscaled. Anything that shows below 2160P is being upscaled to" beautiful Ultra HD resolution". Pretty easy to understand.

It is showing it is being upscaled. Anything that shows below 2160P is being upscaled to" beautiful Ultra HD resolution". Pretty easy to understand.

Yes , as long as you ignore the instruction booklet that came with the tv that says only 1080p will be upscaled . Then yes easy to understand.

All LCD (and plasma) TVs have always scaled their input to their native resolution. If you had an older 720P HD TV it would take a 1080i source and downscale it to 720P. If you had a 1080 TV it would upscale 720 to 1080. I had one of the Panasonic Plasma's that had the bastard resolution of something like 768. It would scale 1080 or 720 to that resolution. Found the it did a better job of upscaling 720 than downscaling 1080

Reactions: Troch77
I have a 121 Inch Projection screen. You can really tell the difference when you stand One foot away.
I can say for sure on some HD Channels Dish is HD Light compare to my Cable.
Put the same show on and Hit Pause, I thin switched back and forth.
Locals were better on Cable and so were all the Sports channels.
SD was better on DISH, but who cares about SD these days.
Movie channels were all the same.
Both Boxes were set to out put at 1080i for the test. Tester on a Hopper 3 with a Cable HD box.
Time to re think which provider to keep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)