Picture cut off on certain local channels

JDUB4OU

Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
First time poster:

Need some help!

I have noticed specifically on my local NBC affliate (OKC Market) and local Fox Affiliate (OKC Market), it seems they are transmitting certain programming and commercials in widescreen and it is cut off on all my TV's that are on Dish Network. I have also noticed this on a family member's TV that also has Dish Network. We were watching the Super Bowl last night on a regular 50" 4:3 Big Screen and the commercials were cut off on the left and right side. It's like the network was transmitting widescreen but Dish was tansmitting it zoomed in and cut off. I talked to another freind that had Direct TV and he noticed no problem. Am I going nuts or is there a way to fix this and I just havent figured it out yet? It happens mostly on NBC and notice it mostly when I am watching thier "American Gladiator" show. I have a 32" Sharp Widescreen hooked to a DVR 625 Receiver and a regular 13" TV hooked to a 501 receiver and they both show the exact same picture that is cut off on the left and right of the screen.

Anybody have any suggestions, or help?
Thanks!

check you signal strenght, whats 119 t 19 and sat 110 t 21?

what dishdo you have? dish 500 or a dish 1000?

My signal is good. It is definately not a problem with the signal, it seems to be a problem with what dish is transmitting on some of my locals.

I think I have a dish 500???? It's the same Dish that I have had for 4-5 years. They changed the LNBF (I think that is what it is called) when I upgraded my DVR to a two tuner DVR.

It definately doesn't matter which TV or receiver it is on and to add to the confusion, it is this way on every persons TV that has Dish Network in my local Area. I have watched many place that have Direct TV and thier sides are not cut off.

Anymore help????

we have a problem like that with the local ABC affiliate, WBND. Dunno why, but they broadcast ABC's 16:9 HD feed on their 4:3 SD analog channel, cutting off the sides. The opening credits on "Lost" and "Boston Legal" always looked pretty screwy!

Dish just rebroadcasts that SD transmission (not very well, I might add).

The station finally started broadcasting in HD this fall, so now I can watch 16:9 shows in 16:9 (imagine!) via OTA HD on my 722.

Maybe DirecTV has those stations in HD in your area, while Dish does not?

Dish js just picking up the digital feed and sending it out for the locals both hd and sd. So it is cut off on the sides on HD material for the sd locals. Otherwise they could letterbox it or squish it down to fit the 4x3 screen.

Dish js just picking up the digital feed and sending it out for the locals both hd and sd. So it is cut off on the sides on HD material for the sd locals. Otherwise they could letterbox it or squish it down to fit the 4x3 screen.

Thanks for the info! Do you know, if I upgrade to a Vip722, will my widescreen TV show all Widescreen format when the networks transmit in that format?

Also, is it possible to get OKC locals in HD through a Dish HD Package? Or do I have to use a OTA antenna to get locals in HD?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Yes the big 4 OKC locals are offered by Dish all you need is an hd receiver, if you don't want the hd package you have to pay an enabling fee but it is only 3.00 dollars more for the HD essentials package now. OKC hd locals come from 119 sat. With the 722 and an antenna you could record 3 hd local feeds at once.

if you don't want the hd package you have to pay an enabling fee but it is only 3.00 dollars more for the HD essentials package now.

What exactly do you mean with the above statement?

I had planned on getting the $10 HD basic package and I wasn't for sure how to add HD locals nor did I know how much they would charge for HD locals on top of the $10 HD package.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

I am getting the same thing here in the Portland, OR market. Both sides are cut off on my locals. WTF is Dish's problem? Their website says that if you have locals on dish you are all set for the big digital cut-over next year. What crap. I can't believe there isn't more being discussed here about this. Dish doesn't even acknowledge it as a problem. :mad::mad:

I am getting the same thing here in the Portland, OR market. Both sides are cut off on my locals. WTF is Dish's problem? Their website says that if you have locals on dish you are all set for the big digital cut-over next year. What crap. I can't believe there isn't more being discussed here about this. Dish doesn't even acknowledge it as a problem. :mad::mad:
Not a Dish problem. Read better!

Read what? What are you talking about? Here is a quote from the website:
"I subscribe to local channels* through DISH Network.
Great news! You don't need to worry – DISH Network has taken care of transition for you! If your digital or analog televisions are connected to a DISH Network receiver, you will not be affected by the transition."

Read what? What are you talking about? Here is a quote from the website:
"I subscribe to local channels* through DISH Network.
Great news! You don't need to worry – DISH Network has taken care of transition for you! If your digital or analog televisions are connected to a DISH Network receiver, you will not be affected by the transition."

N7OR,

In some markets Dish is taking the local Digital signals which have to be cropped from 16x9 to 4x3 and then sampled and sent out as NTSC video. As we get closer to the February NTSC cutoff more and more local markets available from Dish will be using the local ATSC signals instead of their NTSC signals. When Dish says you will be unaffected, they mean you will continue to be able to receive your local channels from Dish without requiring any new STB or Television, it doesn't say anything about how that reformatted content will fill your screen.

When your local channel is sending out 4x3 content the picture will be unaltered as the cropping from 16x9 to 4x3 will not result in missing Picture as the Cropping is only cropping the Blank pillars on the side of the 16x9 image. If Dish was not able to crop and resample your locals Digital signal then you would no LONGER be able to receive your local channels from Dish after February 17th, 2009. When your local channel is carrying 16x9 HD material then yes the cropping will delete parts of the image on the left and right side of the screen when displayed on your TV's connected to your satellite receiver.

If you do not purchase a new TV and depend on your local ATSC Digital signals (After February 17, 2009) you would have to use a Digital Converter and you would still be faced with the same issue. 16x9 content would have to cropped, or letterboxed for your SD Televisions. If Dish set your locals' ATSC broadcast into letterbox then ALL local content would be letterboxed including SD material. Letterboxed SD content on a 4x3 screen would then take up less than 50 percent of your TV display.

Dish got special permission from the FCC to allow them to downconvert your local ATSC signals to NTSC so you are still be able to receive your Locals from Dish without requiring you to purchase new Televisions. Since Most HD content is not 4x3 you will always have issues with how the content is displayed on your 4x3 TV.

I have an HDTV connected to my Dish VIP622 receiver, and a lot of content will not fill my screen or some content is stretched by the Content owners. Some HD channels have Stretch-O-Vision. Some SD channels have Letterboxed SD. On a a regular basis I use the "*" button on my Dish remote to select which mode to use (Zoom, Partial Zoom, Stretch, etc) depending on which channel I'm watching and what aspect ratio, letterboxing the content owners are sending out.

This will be an issue for years to come, so your have three choices; 1) Pony up for an HDTV and HD receiver, 2) get a separate STB and connect it to your Local OTA Antenna, then you can change the STB's output options on the fly to what you prefer (Pillarbox, Stretch, Zoom, Partial Zoom), 3) Suck it up and deal with it the way it is.

John

Last edited:
What exactly do you mean with the above statement?

I had planned on getting the $10 HD basic package and I wasn't for sure how to add HD locals nor did I know how much they would charge for HD locals on top of the $10 HD package.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

JD,

If Dish carries your local Stations in HD, and you subscribe to receive your locals from Dish then you will get them in SD and HD for the same price for NO addition cost.

John

Thanks John L. for an explanation. I guess for the time being we shall suck it. I won't be popping for a new hd set until I move in a year or two or three. Have no room for other than a tiny one at this point, and I don't care THAT much!
Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)