Picture distortion when stretching 4:3 image

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gully

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Voom's STB appears to be distorting the right side of the image when stretching 4:3 material to fill my 16:9 (Samsung hcn) tv. The distortion does not appear on any other input, nor does it appear with the HD channels.

The distortion slightly stretches the image wide in the area approximate to that not normally used on the right side of the screen (the "pillar box"). It does not distort in the same area on the left side of the screen.

The distortion is noticeable mostly when watching tennis (which I do a lot!). If you look at the attached photo, see the right sideline bend out towards the right of the screen, the result of the image being distorted by stretching.

1. Does anyone else witness this same distortion?

2. Does anyone have any suggestions for addressing it?

Attachments

• P1010067.JPG
    P1010067.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 211
That can be because of the angle of the camera to the court... but then again when you stretch 4:3 to widescreen you are asking for distortion. Me I always pillarbox.

Jerry

jawilljr said:
That can be because of the angle of the camera to the court... but then again when you stretch 4:3 to widescreen you are asking for distortion. Me I always pillarbox.

Jerry
Thanks, Jerry, but no, it's not court/camera angle. The distortion is absolute and constant, visible on every channel (but really noticeable on tennis with the right sideline).

I also get distortion but I am using a 4:3 HDTV. :confused:

When I set the video mode to pillarbox and the TV to "Wide" besides reducing my 32" to something like a 24" I get the full picture. If I have it set to strech and TV on "Normal" I lose part of the picture to the left and right along with the distortion of picture and menus.

I'm guessing that it's a problem with the way that the STB stretches the image. It seems like it would be a really easy fix - but what do I know about this kind of thing.

I think all the complaints of Overscan are actually a problem with the box. That's just a hunch.

When you stretch you get distortion... nothing you or anybody else can do about it. Either watch it like it's supposed to, pillarboxed, or watch it stretched and distorted... your choice.

My question is, why on earth would somebody spend thousands of dollars on a hidef TV for a good quality picture and then stretch 4:3 material and distort it? Makes no sense to me. Oh well to each his own.

Jerry

It looks like you've got a Sammy DLP, so no worries about burn-in. Use pillar boxes to eliminate distortion.

Toshiba has 5 choices of display modes:

0: Native
1: Theater Mode (best for 4:3 has five zones of stretch)
2: Theater Mode (same as 1 with a zoom)
3: Theater Mode (same as 2 with more zoom)
4: Theater Mode (simple stretch)

I can watch 4:3 in Theater Mode (1) with no distortion. It’s down right amazing!

Wish Voom could incorporate it.

Unfortunately I can't use it when viewing Voom feeds. For some reason the monitor won't manipulate anything over 480p. Por que?

So I watch in 4:3 or Pillar Mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts