picture freezing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2004
I just had the lnb replaced last month and the tech inspected everything else and they were all fine. Now I am having problems with picture freezing. Only certain channels like the locals, espn, the weather channel and now nickelodeon. What could be causing this? Could the lnb be bad again? Could it be the genie?

Also how can I fix the fact that when it rains heavy I lose signal until it lightens up? This is only for a few minutes now but what if the downpour goes on for hours and I am without signal all that time? Also what about if it snows heavy? If it does that for rain I can only imagine snow and ice.

What dish and LNB do you have?
What are the transponder signal strengths for all available transponders on each satellite?

To help alleviate the rain fade, caused by heavy clouds between you and the sats, make sure the dish is aligned as best it can be.
As for the snow and ice, I suggest that you have the dish mounted where it can be reached to clear the dish.

CAM00017.jpg
CAM00018.jpg
CAM00020.jpg
CAM00019.jpg

here are some pictures of my setup of my dish.

Last edited:
I just had the lnb replaced last month and the tech inspected everything else and they were all fine. Now I am having problems with picture freezing. Only certain channels like the locals, espn, the weather channel and now nickelodeon. What could be causing this? Could the lnb be bad again? Could it be the genie?

Also how can I fix the fact that when it rains heavy I lose signal until it lightens up? This is only for a few minutes now but what if the downpour goes on for hours and I am without signal all that time? Also what about if it snows heavy? If it does that for rain I can only imagine snow and ice.
If you are talking about recently, when we had the fronts come through, that the clouds were loaded with a lot of moisture, just about everyone has lost service, due to how bad those fronts were. There is nothing on this planet, unless you go with a larger dish, to get around signal loss, when Mother Nature decides to drop 1-2" of rain in less than 30 minutes.

Even if you have the dish perfectly setup, 100% signal across the board, you are going to run into those rare cases, where the weather trumps you getting a picture during very severe weather fronts.

Yes but I had satellite before and hardly ever lost signal. Plus my fiance is mad we are losing signal in storms and our picture is freezing. Says we should have staid with cable. I want to prove to her that satellite is just as reliable as cable tv was and cheaper.

Last edited:
It is widespread, due to how much moisture is up in the clouds during these storms. We are just going to have to live with it, until Mother Nature quits being pissed off at us.

If does seem to run in eight to ten year periods, when we get really bad storm fronts like we have had this year.

101:

1 - 8 : 98 98 98 95 98 100 98 100

9-16: 98 98 98 97 99 100 98 100

17-24: 97 79 98 99 98 100 98 100

25-32: 98 63 98 100 99 100 98 100

99 ©

1-8: 97 96 94 95 94 91

9-16: 96 95 95 93 98 97

103 (ca) :

9-16: 94 97 95 95 96 96 95 96

17-24: 96 96 96 96 96 96 97 97

103 (cb) :

1-8: 98 97 95 94 96 95 95 94

9-16: 97 95 95 93 96 95

Your signal strengths are as good as they can reasonably be. Your dish is aligned beautifully. You may have an intermittently bad lnb, or maybe the receiver/dvr is sketchy.

Mikedz4, what is your zip code or physical city & state? We have mine in he most optimal location, that all birds are in clear line of site, with how y dish is mounted.

When we had that massive front roll in from Kansas City, into Central IL., the numbers for mine dropped down into the thirties across the board. My numbers are like yours 99.99% of the time.

I am chalking my issue up to atmospheric issues, due to the Cold fronts. Right now, I do not have enough data (is outages), to point towards atmospheric conditions being the culprit.

My tech did the best job that any could have done. I am thinking of pulling the connections, and putting some di-electric grease at all outside connection points, to see if that improves things, the next time we get the storms like we had a couple of weeks ago.

26062. Like I posted elsewhere I had the lnb replaced two weeks ago. The 79 and 63 worry me.

Those are spot beam transponders. They would be high only if you were in the area they were pointed at.

ok that explains that but doesn't explain the picture freezing and tiling occasionally.

ok that explains that but doesn't explain the picture freezing and tiling occasionally.
Again, if it is during severe weather, write it up to that. I have seen cases, when the front has been so bad, that the local haissues, with their bfd (Big f'ng Dish), that it caused break-up on the locals.

If it only happens, when you are seeing a lot of Red or Yellow in the front moving into your area, there is really not much we can do about it, as I have stated. Remember that you tend to get a lot of static discharge also in those upper layers, so they can temd to cause issues with atmospheric disturbance.

My dad is old time air Force Radio man. He taught me a lot about how weather affects radio transmission. Remember, that what we are dealing with, is a small dish as the receiver, trying to grab a signal while in a locked position. If the dish was moved say just a bit during the changes caused by the front, then the signal would stay high enough, to allow uninterrupted reception.

the sky was clear and this happened this morning here and it has happened on days when it was nice out.
How can I tell if my genie is going bad? Is there a test I can run?

You could use one of the Line Of Site apps if you have a iPhone, to check for complete unobstructed view. There is also a site, that uses Google maps, to give you distances to obstructions.

The key is to really make sure your dish is on a roof top, to keep anything that would get in its way, if it is on a pole in the ground.

You could sit there all day long looking at signals, but it is going outside and looking for the dish point of view, what is in front of it, or nearby that could be causing interference. In other words, if you have a Ham radio operator or military base, or tower with Microwave transceivers, those could interfere with the signal. Also ingress on the line can cause problems.

unfortunately that is about the only place the dish can go because of apartment restrictions. So the only way to tell is to have a tech come out again?

the sky was clear and this happened this morning here and it has happened on days when it was nice out.
How can I tell if my genie is going bad? Is there a test I can run?

This is now happening to me as well. Just installed in late August, perfect picture mostly but getting occasional freezing on live tv in bright, sunny weather. Just started a couple weeks ago with occassional dvr playback freezing, with a couple recordings unable to play to the end. Other than these few occurrences the Genie operates fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts