Picture Quality gone to crap!!!!

I recently switched from Comcast cable to Dish and am very happy with the PQ on both HD and SD channels. My TV is a Sony KDFE55A20 and I am using the 622 HD DVR. With Comcast I used the same TV but had the 6412 DVR (POS) hooked up via component as it did not support HDMI as the 622 does. My wife and I agree that the PQ on E is much better than Comcast cable for both SD and HD content.

Jeff

I have also notice a increase in dropped frames (video stutter). I have seen it on HD channels such as TNT and some locals as well as OTA recordings. I was thinking it was the 622 trying to keep up with the frame rate but it has been worse the last few weeks and it now looks like it is in the feed not the DVR. (repeatable jumps on playback).

And yes the resolution (sharpness) on HD channels seems lower now than it was last year. Channels like the Food Network HD, and Discovery HD just don’t pop like they used to. I wish I had a way of measuring the compression loss. Saying it looks different just does not make it to an engineer.

Well, we can certainly agree to disagree. But, the fact still remains that a vast majority of American households tend to do most their television viewing on Networks....ABC, CBS, NBC, & FOX. Feel free to rearrange the order of channels priorities I mentioned earlier, but the fact remains that the Networks should still be at the top of the list!!! This is where E* is failing their consumers HORRIBLY. Instead they focus on adding programming that in essence very FEW could care about, and chewing up valuable bandwidth in the process, versus adding the programming that very MANY care about.
The problem with this logic is that the vast majority of households, the ones reflected in the Nielsen ratings, don't care about PQ.

And they are so clueless, that they don't use DVRs, they sit down at 9:00pm to watch the 9:00pm show, and then they miss anything else that is good at 9:00pm.

Clearly, those who do care about PQ watch HD, and if they watch the networks, then they are using an OTA antenna to receiver the HD networks for free in better quality than any cable or satellite company can provide (because the bandwidth is provided for free by the US government).

E* accomodates those PQ-conscious viewers who might want to catch entertaining fluff network shows like Lost or Prison Break, by incorporating an OTA ATSC HD tuner into their ViP-622 flagship receiver/DVR.

Also note that there is one HD FoodTV channel on Dish, while there are currently roughly 25 HD ABC channels on Dish, 25 HD CBS channels, etc.
If they put up all the network channels in the US in HD, there would then be one HD FoodTV channel, 200 HD ABCs, 200 HD CBSs, etc.

So, it is amazingly ridiculous to say that E* has not enough emphasis on the networks - ever since they turned on the first spotbeam, they have been allocating far, far too much bandwidth to network channels.

digiblur,

Where does one find the uplink reports that show bitrates and resolutions?

Thanks in advance!;)

Jim

Those items are generally not included in the uplink reports. What I was pointing out is that E* hasn't done a big shift of channels lately. Meaning they haven't overloaded some transponders lately.

If you'd like to see some bitrates of some channels let me know the orbital position and transponder number.

As requested from another user...

All of the E* captured SD content I've seen is 540X480i.... on the other side of the fence at D* they run 480X480i. :(

Attachments

• 110w.12370r.JPG
    110w.12370r.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 111
  • 110w.12370r_b.JPG
    110w.12370r_b.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 109
As requested from another user...

All of the E* captured SD content I've seen is 540X480i.... on the other side of the fence at D* they run 480X480i. :(

Any idea on how that compares to cable or specifically Comcast? The SD channels I had with them looked like crap.

Here is a quick question.I have a Sony 36 inch CRT TV.I wanting to get the dish 500.They have a HD upgrade on the receiver and i was just wondering does the HD receivers have component hook ups in the back.I notice a difference in PQ on the DVD player using component hook up instead of s video.Don't really want to pay extra for HD programing on my set up.Was wondering if they had component hook ups on the HD receiver and if the PQ would be noticable like on the DVD player.For a dying breed of tv I'm well pleased with my Sony.Thanks, overtimeman

They do, and I'll bet you would notice a difference. Your 36" Sony can probably scan 480p. But I don't think you can attain that resolution without an HD package.

Just wondering if anyone here has noticed the decrease in picture quality as well. For the past few weeks now, I've noticed a big degradation in the picture quality. I've got a Dish 500 pointed at 110/119. Strength on 110 is in the high 80's, and high 90's for 119.

The picture seems a lot softer than before, and I'm noticing pixelation....even on the SD channels! What gives?

Absolutely - I have been saying this for almost 2 years now. When I had my Dish installed in 2001, the PQ was awesome, near DVD quality. People used to comment on how great my PQ looked, now they ask me whats wrong with my TV!! The picture is blurry, washed out, halo's around the images - just plain UGLY. My TV has been calibrated with the Avia disc and my bitching to Dish support resulted in a complete re-installation of my entire system, cables and all, not once, but 2 times!! None of this has helped, it has nothing to do with calibration or signal strength issues, as others have mentioned its a manifestation of overcompressing. Unfortunately, as others have also mentioned, 9 out of 10 people couldnt care less about PQ, so Dish continues to get away with this.

I am fed up and going to FIOS next month.

JQ

I am new to these boards. I just had Dish installed last wednesday. I was really looking forward to all the new channels (coming from Comcast).

I am VERY disappointed. I concur with most of the people in this thread. When my girlfriend and I first sat down to watch she said to me, while watching HBO-HD "this is in HD?" I told her it was, she said it didn't look like it was, the picture didn't pop like it did with Comcast. I agree with her, I have a 42" Panasonic 720p plasma, I have the ViP 622 plugged in via HDMI, using the same HDMI cable and port on my plasma as I had with the comcast SA 8300HD.

Yes I played with the resolution settings on the 622, set it for 720p out and 1080i out, didn't seem to help much. I played with the picture settings on my plasma, not much better.

To make matters worse the SD looks downright AWFUL! I realize SD on an HDTV is a crapshoot, but SD with comcast on this tv actually looked pretty good, well at least digital SD did.

On my standard tv using the 381 I also notice the picture quality looking terrible. Pixelation, softness, "smearing" you name it, it just looks awful.

I came here and searched and found this thread, I was actually thinking that maybe it was the diplexing that the installer did on my still active Comcast cable lines, but after reading this I don't think it is.

Could diplexing my sat signal on the same cable as an active digital comcast signal cause this type of picture degradation?

I am new to these boards. I just had Dish installed last wednesday. I was really looking forward to all the new channels (coming from Comcast).

I am VERY disappointed. I concur with most of the people in this thread. When my girlfriend and I first sat down to watch she said to me, while watching HBO-HD "this is in HD?" I told her it was, she said it didn't look like it was, the picture didn't pop like it did with Comcast. I agree with her, I have a 42" Panasonic 720p plasma, I have the ViP 622 plugged in via HDMI, using the same HDMI cable and port on my plasma as I had with the comcast SA 8300HD.

Yes I played with the resolution settings on the 622, set it for 720p out and 1080i out, didn't seem to help much. I played with the picture settings on my plasma, not much better.

To make matters worse the SD looks downright AWFUL! I realize SD on an HDTV is a crapshoot, but SD with comcast on this tv actually looked pretty good, well at least digital SD did.

On my standard tv using the 381 I also notice the picture quality looking terrible. Pixelation, softness, "smearing" you name it, it just looks awful.

I came here and searched and found this thread, I was actually thinking that maybe it was the diplexing that the installer did on my still active Comcast cable lines, but after reading this I don't think it is.

Could diplexing my sat signal on the same cable as an active digital comcast signal cause this type of picture degradation?

First off Welcome to the forum!!!!:welcome

Many here will agree with your above statements. Many here will disagree. But the bottom line is what YOUR seeing at your end .

Sure, your display can have a tremendous effect on picture quality, especially with SD content, but I personally don't believe the diplexing has anything to do with the picture artifacts your seeing. And it seems you know what your doing as far as setting the correct resolutions on not only the display, but the receiver as well.

It's a simple lack of bandwidth!!! And, IMHO here's why....

I've been a E* customer for a number of years, and jumped on the HD bandwagon when they first started to offer HD. I still have the original HD pack....5 channels for $9.99. HDNet, ESPN-HD, TNT-HD, HDNMV, and DSCHD.

When I first got the HD channels, they were outstanding as far as picture quality. But, over the past 12-18 months the picture quality has steadily gotten worse!

Sure, E* continues to add to their HD lineup...such as the VOOM stuff, which I could personally care less about, but that's besides the point. Anyway, with the addition of all the added HD, not to mention other so called "compelling content" SD channels, the less bandwidth E* has to go around, and the more they need to compress the signals. The more they compress the signals, the more artifacts we get to see as a result. I used to mainly see these artifacts on the HD channels, but now it's on the SD channels as well!

Like I mentioned earlier, this has progressively gotten worse over time and will likely continue until E* gets more birds up in the sky and free up some bandwidth.

This is why I refuse to pay in order to upgrade my equipment, only to be forced into having to subscribe to the HD content currently available thru E*, and sub-par picture quality. If E* offered network HD in my area, which is 95% of our household viewing, I would consider upgrading in order to receiver them. Till then, NOPE!!!!

I wonder why DISH doesn't utilize more of their plentiful unused transponders on AMC-15 (105) or Echo9 (121) for HD, freeing up bandwidth on DBS bands for giving their SD offerings appropriate bandwidth.

Is there a stigma attached to a 3' dish for both Ku and DBS bands (or a second dish that is 3' for Ku) for those that want quality HD?

I wonder why DISH doesn't utilize more of their plentiful unused transponders on AMC-15 (105) or Echo9 (121) for HD, freeing up bandwidth on DBS bands for giving their SD offerings appropriate bandwidth.

Why the hell would they do that, when a lot of people think they are getting great picture quality?

Some people are so happy just to get a channel that they are they will say it's great PQ. Over in one of the MASN threads, some posters claim that it's crystal cear and looks fantastic. I see a super compressed channel with a lot of artifacts.

As long as your average joe doesn't call and complain why the hell would Dish and Direct change a thing?

Plasma and LCD are the worst TV's to have with DISH or DTV. DLP looks 100% better when using ANY SD compressed signal. That does not solve your problem, but for anyone else thinking about moving to HD, something to consider.

Dish has a 30 day return policy, so I would consider switching back. Until consumers start showing their dissatisfactions with the PQ by shutting off service, there is no reason for either platform to change gears. They are not going to use FSS ku satellites. I think DISH is starting to get real nervous with DTV getting ready to fire up those ka band satellites for consumer transmissions. DTV will start to make large gains over dish this year and I think dish is trying to plug the hole before the leak starts. Problem is they do not know HOW to sell anymore. All they know how to do is GIVE their equipment away. PQ use to be no large issue with consumers. With more and more HDTV hitting the street, consumers are once again looking at PQ. I have 80 year old ladies asking, "Is that what I paid all that money for?" Even they see the problem with viewing SD on a HDTV.

I wrote this web page to start dealing with this issue. Until

http://www.dbsinstall.com/hdtv/HDTV_reality.asp

I think PQ on the SDs is a bit hit or miss. I got so frustrated with Time Warner's analog channels like SciFi, that I switched to Dish. I have to say that SciFi looks remarkably better on my LCD and my DLP with Dish, but The Tennis Channel on Dish looks like crap compared to TW. (prob far fewer people watch Tennis Channel compared to SciFi, so i guess Dish figures why bother to make TC look decent.)

I do think that people should call and complain/cancel/threaten to cancel. - i'm calling Dish right now about the Tennis Channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)