Picture Quality issues still

MiniTransAm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Lancaster, PA
A while ago I put a thread up about my picture quality issues. The general concensus was that I'm seeing the results of signal compression.

However after yesterday, I think I have more than that. I was watching STTNG on G4TV. Everytime someone like Picard or Riker was in the foreground, all of the red on their uniforms was blocky and switching colors.

Watching the giants game, the field looked very blocky an ocassionally I thought I saw vertical lines through the entire picture.

This happens on both of my recievers so there is a common problem here. I went out and retightened and cleaned the ground wires. No difference. Made sure the cables were all tight.

A dishnetwork tech was also out too look at this. All he did was replace some connectors and thats it.

Is it at all possible that my LBN's are bad?? I really think now that this is more than just compresssion noise.

Just figured I'd ask you all before I go yanking LNB's out of my dish and spending money that I don't have. Thanks :)

Well , first off, can you post what kind of signal you are getting on your system (most boxes, menu>6,1,1) and it will show you a signal.

Also, was it raining out yesterday (or low clouds/snow?)

MiniTransAm said:
Signal strengths are both over 90. Weather was good yesterday, and better today. Problem still exists.
As Simon says, signal strengths mean nothing unless they come from Transponder 11 or 12.

61.5° - T29 - (112)
110° - T20 (98) & T21 (105)
119° - T19 (125) & T20 (113)
129° - T17 (115)
148° - T19 (125)

There's a more thourough breakdown of my signal strength. I used the transponders that dish network says to check on the website.

I can agree with the PQ, I have crappy picture on both my receivers too.

You can really notice when the picture is dark as it looks like it is underwater.
Terrible picture, my friend who has Comcast Digital has better picture than I do.
I am thinking about buying a 411 but if the picture is going to be as bad I may have to dump Dish period.

MiniTransAm said:
A while ago I put a thread up about my picture quality issues. The general concensus was that I'm seeing the results of signal compression.

However after yesterday, I think I have more than that. I was watching STTNG on G4TV. Everytime someone like Picard or Riker was in the foreground, all of the red on their uniforms was blocky and switching colors.

Watching the giants game, the field looked very blocky an ocassionally I thought I saw vertical lines through the entire picture.

This happens on both of my recievers so there is a common problem here. I went out and retightened and cleaned the ground wires. No difference. Made sure the cables were all tight.

A dishnetwork tech was also out too look at this. All he did was replace some connectors and thats it.

Is it at all possible that my LBN's are bad?? I really think now that this is more than just compresssion noise.

Just figured I'd ask you all before I go yanking LNB's out of my dish and spending money that I don't have. Thanks :)

Sound like over compression to me, time to get a big dish and a 4dtv :)

You might want to check out the cable quality in your area? I have Comcast and am very happy with it, excellent picture quality. But not all cable is this good. I have a buddy in the Chicago area who also has comcast and his picture is just ok. another friend in wisconsin has charter cable and his picture is terrible. Its always good to check first. I was a former dish customer but ill stick with comcast for now.
To me it sounds like tdti1 is right about over compression, besides 4dtv which is great! you can try directv?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts