Picture Quality Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MiniTransAm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I'm having some issues on my TV's

On all the sets, the picture will sometimes appear a bit fuzzy or out of focus. Sometimes, especially on local channels, lines will appear. Either vertical, horizontal, or diagonal.

I also get blocks in the picture where there is solid colors. For example. Someone's shirt will get small blacks that will come and go that are different shades from the shirt color. Doesn't appear to happen when you have a stationary color on the screen. Say a commercial that has a green background with just some text.

We had some guys from Dish out today to take a look at it. Unfortunetly I wasn't home, the wife was, but the picture doesn't look any different.

HD does look better, however not as good as I think it should. Any one have issues similar to this? Any fixes?

No, I think he's talking about "washed out" looking areas on the picture, looking like grains. I got that too, on a 46" Magnavox non HDTV it's even worse. And yes the locals are worse. I don't think he"s talking about the digital pixelation that a low signal is responsible for. It's the compression pixelation he's probably talking about. Don't think this is fixable, un less E* broadcasts less compressed.

I'm using a Samsung TX-P2275H 4:3 HDTV. I know, I know, should have gotten 16:9.

Anyway, compression pixels seems to be exactly what i'm experiencing. And that would make sense because I would assume that they compress the hell out of locals to make room for other stuff correct?

My wife said that the dish guys replaced every connecter and a used some grommets instead of hole sealer on the outside of the house. They said that sometimes contracters will use cheaper stuff than they would use. That seems to have cleared up the problem with the lines however the compression pixels are still there.

So looks like I'm just going to have to deal with it right? I don't suppose that switching/upgrading to a different reciever would help the problem at all?

Im wondering on a few issues, first did they check the signal strength? If its good do you know if they swapped the lnbf? Have you checked the settings on your tv's, heavy contrast settings and brightness settings can bring out issues such as yours.

Hmmm ... HD doesn't look good on this set?

HD should look very sharp on a 27" CRT, especially if you are watching it in letterbox/16:9 mode. Although the resolution on a 4:3 tube set is not as high as a 16:9 tube set.

Dish HD is usually very good, but there are some programs, notably older movies on VOOM or stretched content on TNT, which aren't good source material.

The compression artifacts on SD channels are very obvious to me, especially on locals. You should compare the picture on your locals with a premium movie channel (if you have one). Most of the time the movie channel will look sharper.

Changing the cabling on the other side of the receiver, the side between the receiver and the dish, usually won't affect the picture very much, except to improve signal strength and reduce rain fade. Although if it isn't grounded properly or is damaged, then it could degradate the picture.

Have you connected the TV to the receiver with component cables? Dish HD receivers usually produce a better picture through component than thru the DVI connector.

Tom Bombadil Have you connected the TV to the receiver with component cables? Dish HD receivers usually produce a better picture through component than thru the DVI connector.[/QUOTE said:
That really depends on the tv. I am using dvi on my Toshiba hd 57" 16 x9 tv and the dvi definately looks better than the component. The component is still an analog connection. Meaning there is going to be the digital to analog conversion which will cause artifacts in the picture.

I would suggest adjusting your picture controls. I have the "movie" setting on my tv , which puts everything at 50 % on the contols. From there I adjust the brightness up to 55 %, the color up to 55 % and the sharpness down to 15 %. The temp is set to warmth. I also have the auto features turned on for the auto light sensor - which adjust the contrast depending on how much light is on in the room. This seems to give me the best picture . If you have the sharpness turned up high or even up to 50 % on your picture controls TURN IT DOWN! This only will introduce more artifacting and make the straight edges all jaggedy. I don't even know why they include this feature anymore. More people complain on their picture when it is almost always the sharpness is turned up to high. The same for contrast. It should only be on up to 50 % or half way on your picture controls. This too will introduce artifacts and show all the compression on your local channels.

Adjusting the picture contols will help some but in the end it is the tv you are watching and it's capabilities . My other hd tv is a Toshiba 26' 16 x 9 hd tv and it doesn't have as good a picture to me than my 57 " . Even adjusting the controls didn't help . I am using hdmi on that tv and I had to really adjust the picture controls down to improve the picture. Sitting far enough away also helps.

The only other thing I can suggest is to add some lighting behind the tv. This has helped improve my picture as well I have like to 30 - 40 watt bulbs in uplighting fixtures I bought cheap at Walmart on a shelf above the tv on the wall. I can see in the room to do other things and it doesn't interfere with the picture. I also have all other lights turned off in the room to reduce any glare on the screen.

Does anyone else think it is way to hard just to watch tv anymore? I mean I really have to jump through the hoops to get a good picture on both of my hd tvs , while my dad can watch his 1995 27" Magnovox analog tv and get a great picture with a Dish 625 receiver. He still likes his sharpness turned up to over 50 % and it ruins the picture for me, but he likes it. When I adjust the picture for maximum picture , which improves the picture and removes the jaggedy lines etc, he says he doesn't like it. He actually thinks it should look like bad cable or analog ota . Either way Analog tvs are so much more forgiving with the satellite picture.

Yes, I agree it does depend on the TV. And perhaps even which Dish receiver you are usually. That's why I said "usually better" with component, as most of the comments posted in this forum are in favor of the component connection.

I do look forward to when TV technologies have improved to where sets with bright images also have good contrast and black levels, where there are no rainbows, no silk screen effects, no burn in, and they will be cheaper too!

And all of the programming will be in HD, no more fooling around with compressed SD and trying to make that crap look good.

Tom Bombadil said:
And all of the programming will be in HD, no more fooling around with compressed SD and trying to make that crap look good.
Right. Then we'll have to fool around with compressed HD.

My signal strength is fine. All are over 100. Most are close to max.

I have also hooked up the s-video input from the reciever to the TV. Makes a bit of difference but not much.

Now that you mention it TNT usually is the channel that doesn't look good. Once i a great while DiscoveryHD will air something that doesn't look that great either. However HDNET always looks amazing. I love watching hockey on that channel. I'll mess with my TV settings a bit and see if I can make it less noticeable. My sharpness is turned way up right now. I'll see what lowering it does.

Thanks for the suggestions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts