picture quality not as good at night

ww2154

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
I have dish network with the 811. During the day my pq is great but at night the pq is not quite as good. I know this sound funny but it does this every night and early in the morning and changes during the day. I was wondering if anybody else had this problem before.

Is this problem on all your Dish channels or just some of them or is this with an off air antenna?

Also where do you live and what type of dish do you have?

Do you have some kind of automatic picture adjustment for room light? If so your set could be toning down the picture at night due to less ambient light. If your set was properly calibrted then all these controls should have been turned off.

Four words... "Moisture in the lines"

Think about it... when it gets dark, moisture in the air surfaces as dew.

I run into this problem all the time when...

Indoor fitting are used outside (indoor fittings have crimped ridges around the base)

Line has a partial slice in it outside (often done by dog's, squires and weedeaters)

Connectors are mounted vertically instead of horizontally causing corrosion.

I think moisture in the line might be the problem since it clears up during the day. I will check the cable for any cracks. thanks

In the old days I think the compression rate was a bit more at night because of more sporting events taking place at night and the comp rate system wide was adjusted (system wide) to make up for the increase action rate. I don't think this is your problem because we would all see it but it makes as much sense as the LNB going to sleep (just kidding OoTLINK).

Tekken said:
Line has a partial slice in it outside (often done by dog's, squires and weedeaters)
Hmm ... I always figured squires had more to do these days than slicing bits off of cables ... ;)

Anyhow, DBS is a digitial signal, which means generally you either get it or you don't. A bit more info on exactly what symptoms you are seeing might be enlightening, but I would not suspect "water in the cable" unless the signal is being lost completely.

More compressions artifacts (blockiness) could be explained by varying compression of the signal. Poor quality can also be a result of the local signals Dish picks up at their local point-of-presence; if the locals are being picked up by antenna (as opposed to a digital link) you might see a difference depending on the time of day. Beyond that, check the connections between the receiver and the TV.

Not really true: If digital was either "you get it" or "You don't get it", then we wouldn't have the "Point Dish" Screen, it'd just have a "WE GET SIGNAL!!" screen :D...

Or better yet, let the box say it for you!

*plug in coax*
*box turns on*
WE GET SIGNAL!
MAIN SCREEN TURN ON!

Garbage in = Garbage out (I ate McDonalds today, thus my posts are garbage!)

Lower signal quality = artifacting. Try jiggling around the video connector on a DVI monitor and watch what happens!

What Mr baseball means is that the quality of picture and sound is consistent from %125 down to %50 and once it goes a point or two below this the picture either starts pixelating or drops out completely. There wasn't anything specific as to wich channels are effected but if its locals then the antenna reception at the head end for that dma could be at issue.

Let me toss something else into this and if theres anyone thats good with lighting theory feel free to jump in. Daylight would effect the tv image by flooding the room its in with natural light lessening the details that you would see, morning and late afternoon into night the lesser light would allow your eyes to see details more clearly. I know that when I watch the bedroom tv Im more apt to see artifacts on the locals at night as compared to the daytime because the bedroom is on the south side of the house and flooded with light during the day time.

If you have never done it try adjusting your tv's video settings to, I usually adjust my customers tv's ( time permitting ) because its still set at factory default wich is neutral. Try going to channel 101 and look at the skin color of the demonstators, if they're skin looks red and washed out then your video settings need to be adjusted.

OoTLink said:
Not really true: If digital was either "you get it" or "You don't get it", then we wouldn't have the "Point Dish" Screen, it'd just have a "WE GET SIGNAL!!" screen :D...

Or better yet, let the box say it for you!

*plug in coax*
*box turns on*
WE GET SIGNAL!
MAIN SCREEN TURN ON!

Garbage in = Garbage out (I ate McDonalds today, thus my posts are garbage!)

Lower signal quality = artifacting. Try jiggling around the video connector on a DVI monitor and watch what happens!
You do a "point Dish" so that you get a signal strength as close to 125% as possible. As noted above, a 125% signal and a 60% signal should look exactly the same on the TV, but the 125% signal has a lot more margin for error when clouds and rain pass between your dish and the satellite. There is a "hairy edge" around 40% - 50% where the picture will artifact like crazy, below that and you will get no picture at all.

I agree I don't think its water in the cable. We still need to know what channels and where you live to really get started on this problem.

I live in Dublin, Georgia and all channels are effected. It is a slight difference in picture quality. It might be my tv or the lighting in the room but there is a difference.

How many TV's do you have?

Is it the same on all your TV's or just one?

What type of dish do you have?

How long have you had Dish and when did this problem start?

I have 2 tvs. One is a 34" hd toshiba that I bought last year and the other is a sony 34" that i bought 6 years ago. I have the superdish with the 811 hooked up to the toshiba and the 301 hooked up to the sony. I had dish since sept. 2004. I can not tell the difference on the sony it is only on the toshiba. The pq difference started in sept 2005. It might just be my tv.

If you can, do this. Cover the windows to black out the room during the middle of the day and allow your eyes about 15 - 20 mins and then turn on the tv to see how it looks, I'd venture that you will see a lesser quality as compared to what you see in the room when its lit normaly.

The only other thing I can consider is that if the cirtcuit that the tv is on becomes overloaded in the evening hours from other appliances the tv set could become effected by the strain on the system or an appliance that is going bad could be outputting a frequency into your electrical service that is causing this problem.