Picture Quality NOW!!!

screech

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2005
Just finished watching EquatorHD and I'm on RAVE now. It looks tack sharp to me. What do you think?????

Improved but could be sharper. Still not to the quality of what it was before.

HD’s have been steadily improving, certain SD’s as well, but I still see a few rough looking SD’s.

softwiz said:
What he said...
and what he said he said. ;)

Equator looked very soft and lacking definition to me last night but Rave was very good. The Cinema10's varied from not so good to pretty good. I scanned through a lot of the SD channels and many of them are vastly improved from a week ago when I last checked them.

The Thumbs down is probably because they are still not back to where they were before the new encoders went online is my guess.

PQ Not So Good

I'd say the pq is probably about 70% as sharp as the one ota channel I receive. And that would be for the best of the voom hd channels. Watch for close-ups of peoples faces and you can see the focus come and go, almost as if we are receiving the signal in pulses. As for the pq on sd channels...well most of them just plain suck.

I must say, I'm terribly disappointed by Voom's PQ for a lot of SD channels. I've been an iO and Cablevision extended customer since 1978, and Voom just isn't matching up. Many channels, especially C-SPAN and Fox News (not endorsing FNC, but pointing out the poor PQ) look far WORSE than analog cable on my SDTV. The HBOs also look piss-poor outside of the HD feeds downcoded to 480i. What's up with the Motorola/Voom DSR-550 over-scanning images further on my SD? I have the Motorola boxes hooked up through a composite port on my 19", and component on my 27" Wega. Switching between analog cable and Voom, I noticed better colors, clear images, and FAR LESS over-scan with the former. Granted, I'm not using an HDTV, but why should that matter? If Voom can't get their SD channels to look as good as cable on analog TVs, they're shutting themselves off to potential customers. If not for that termination fee, I'd consider canceling. I'd further add, iO's Digital Channels beat the pants off Voom's SD channels. Having never viewed HD through iO, I won't compare the two.

Before anyone starts a "then why didn't you get DirecTV or E* subscription", I wanted to see how Voom would stack up. For a long time, I heard that Voom SD had almost a DVD quality PQ. I don't know if the new encoders are at fault, but that claim is way off.

I was going to post that I've noticed a marked improvement in PQ on Voom lately. I'll admit that I watch ch100 HDNews for the couple minute sI have downstairs before heading out to work. The 'pinwheel' HDNews transition used to pixelate pretty badly and it seems that they have it fixed now.

I poked around a few other channels and across the board it seems to be looking better. There is still room for improvement but they are definately moving in the right direction!

Shawn

DevOne said:
I must say, I'm terribly disappointed by Voom's PQ for a lot of SD channels. .....

Before anyone starts a "then why didn't you get DirecTV or E* subscription", I wanted to see how Voom would stack up. For a long time, I heard that Voom SD had almost a DVD quality PQ. I don't know if the new encoders are at fault, but that claim is way off.

It's amazing the Grand Canyon size gaps in people's PQ experiences. How could any tech draw conclusions based on the information here?
There are great days and some bad but my Voom PQ as a charter member has been and is as good any day I had with cable or DirecTV. It also looks much better than my neighbor's E. The truck is there every other week for one problem or another. My HD across the board is at 1080i. Exactly a year ago things went to 720 here and there. However, that lasted a month and was gone.
For those lurking around I hope the only conclusion you draw is that those few with problems are here and the other 40,0000 plus Voomers are enjoying the service.

I think the type of set matters. On my 16:9 DLP set the SD looks like crap. Certainly stretching the 4:3 to 16:9 doesn't help matters much. The HD looks nice to me.

On my 27" SD tube TV the SD and HD picture (letterboxed) look amazing.

Shawn

I am beginning to believe that some of the issues with picture quality has to be with some people's equipment set up. I have noticed that when they add a new channel it takes a day or so for the pq to get to a decent level. I do not settle for HD lite as some people may say I am actually quite the opposite. I just have not seen the pq issues some people seem to have. I wonder how close some people are to their tv's.

When I feel that the PQ is down I look at signal quality, most often than not that is down. I agree that the SD on a HDTV set, both my tvs are4:3 with a 16:9 mode is a lot softer on many channels and anywhere from worst to better than Comcast. However on my Sd set, the PQ is almost always better than cable was or is as I had to keep basic for my locals.
GO VOOM! I'll be watchin MonsterHD on my day off tomorrow ;-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)