Picture Quality of D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Vick

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
I was at Best Buy the other day at the D* booth where they have 2 identical HDTV's showing NFL game on FOX, one HD and the other SD. The HD seemed to me had too much pixilation especially on fast moving objects. Currently I have Comcast and OTA in Chicago and FOX HD looks much better than what I saw at Best Buy and I can't tell any difference between OTA and Comcast supplied FOX HD (except for latency of course).

I am not trying to defend comcast but at one time I had VOOM and did not experience that either. Any thoughts for PQ?

Just wondering if you had read any of the other 100+ threads on PQ yet?

What channel exactly as opposed to just the FOX game? Was it a DNS FOX, local FOX, etc?

I do not experience any of this on my DirecTV delivered HD NFL games.

Local FOX 32.1

Was that the actual channel number selected from the EPG that you and other were watching? If so, that is OTA and NOT DirecTV. DirecTV HD receivers have OTA ATSC tuners and incorporate the EPG data together, BUT they (DirecTV) is not responsible for OTA quality; likely one of the reasons their had decided to remove OTA tuners from future models; which I think is wrong to do, but I can see their point. I am reading that they might be re-thinking that move.

I will assume that Best Buy most likely installed some kind of gadjet to split the signal into two, one HD and one SD and it is some cheep thing that made the picure look like that. But I am still sceptical to move to D* now and most likely will wait until they provide all 100 channels that they have promised, then we'll see.
I had bad experience before with XM radio, I was one the first adopters when they had 100 channels but when they added more that 150 additional the sound quality suffered and I eventually had to cancel (OT I know).

Hmm, odd way to look at it I think, but the channels are all there and such so I am not 100% sure what the angle is; or what you skepticism is , but whatever I guess and good luck with it.

Was that the actual channel number selected from the EPG that you and other were watching? If so, that is OTA and NOT DirecTV. DirecTV HD receivers have OTA ATSC tuners and incorporate the EPG data together, BUT they (DirecTV) is not responsible for OTA quality; likely one of the reasons their had decided to remove OTA tuners from future models; which I think is wrong to do, but I can see their point. I am reading that they might be re-thinking that move.
most of this is correct, however they arent removing OTA tuners from ALL future models. Just the 21 series at this point. The 20s are still being made.
Edit: spelling error

Last edited:
Don't trust the BB displays completely. Often their distribution system for feeding all TV's off of one HD receiver makes it look worse than normal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)