Picture Quality of local channels,,,

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lee157

Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
OK another newbie question,,

I am new to the whole satellite TV thing we always had 16' ray gun looking antenna on a pole with a rotator and just got Dish Net this last Sat.

I have noticed that my local stations seem kinda Blocky,, like low quality MPEG movies.

I have messed with a LOT of MiniDV video and converting it to several different formats and when you go a lower quality you get some minor blockyness when you have rapid movement on the picture, usually sharp contrast changes yield them, like a dark object moving across a light background the outer edges of the dark object will look blocky.

Is this normal???

My other stations are fine and I'm not sure all of my locals are that way as I haven't sat in front of the tube that much yet to really study it.

But it isn't what I expected for "Digital Quality"

Dish uses a number of different methods to obtain local channels. This all depends on the setup for your market.

I live in South Bend and my CW and ABC look like they uplinking a feed that was captured from a UHF antenna. Luckily I receive all the digital OTA feeds from the same channels so it doesn't bother me much.

I'm in Erie, PA. My locals look really, really bad.

Some times I think I might be better off getting them over the antenna instead of off the Dish.

OK another newbie question,,

I am new to the whole satellite TV thing we always had 16' ray gun looking antenna on a pole with a rotator and just got Dish Net this last Sat.

I have noticed that my local stations seem kinda Blocky,, like low quality MPEG movies.

I have messed with a LOT of MiniDV video and converting it to several different formats and when you go a lower quality you get some minor blockyness when you have rapid movement on the picture, usually sharp contrast changes yield them, like a dark object moving across a light background the outer edges of the dark object will look blocky.

Is this normal???

My other stations are fine and I'm not sure all of my locals are that way as I haven't sat in front of the tube that much yet to really study it.

But it isn't what I expected for "Digital Quality"

It is not normal for the locals to be blocky. But first, remember when you are considering quality that only four channels are HD; FOX, ABC, NBC, and CBS. If those channels are exhibiting what you describe, you may have marginal signal for your HD locals. Yes, digital picture quality can be compromised by low signal.

Sounds like you have a problem. The fix would be in the re-point of the dish.

What dish do you have?

Identifying Dishes

What is signal strength on 118.7 viewing transponder 18?

What is signal strength of 110 and 119 viewing transponder 11?

Dish doesn't provide Erie HD locals, correct. OP never mentioned his locals were in HD.

My locals still look like crap.

Don't fool yourself jeff, a repoint won't fix low bitrate local channels.

The best way to go is get them from the source via OTA digital signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)