Picture quality on the Plus apps

jcoppola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Charleston, SC
I have been wondering this for awhile. I realize that the satellite signals are compressed and may not look as sharp as over the air but why would the apps on the Plus not look as sharp when compared to the same app playing directly from my Hisense TV?

I watch a lot of hockey on ESPN plus. On the PLUS from the center ice camera the numbers on players apps are not sharp and the picture doesn’t POP. The ESPN app on my TV showing the same game is much clearer and more vibrant and the numbers on the jerseys are sharp as a tack. What’s causing the difference?

I have been wondering this for awhile. I realize that the satellite signals are compressed and may not look as sharp as over the air but why would the apps on the Plus not look as sharp when compared to the same app playing directly from my Hisense TV?

I watch a lot of hockey on ESPN plus. On the PLUS from the center ice camera the numbers on players apps are not sharp and the picture doesn’t POP. The ESPN app on my TV showing the same game is much clearer and more vibrant and the numbers on the jerseys are sharp as a tack. What’s causing the difference?
Streaming boxes process the video also, as do TVs, I have no idea what graphics chip is in either.

Think graphics cards for computers, some are better then others.

For streaming boxes, I find the Nvidia Shield does the best job, while the Roku Ultra looks great, the Shield is a tad better.

Also, I read here that the plus always has HDR on, I still do not know if it does, if so, it is sending the wrong information to your TV since there is no HDR data in ESPN+ stream, , which would explain what you are alluding to.