Picture quality with SD channel?

little_d

Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Hi all,

I have a questions with Dish SD channel. I noticed a significant differences when displaying the regular channel on my tube TV vs the LCD TV. The LCD picture is not as sharp at all, question is if all signal is broadcast in digital how come it look so bad on the digital TV (LCD) compared to the analog TV (tube)?

One other question is if I use an HD receiver such as Vip211 and an HDMI cable to broadcast regular channel on the LCD would that even help with the picture quality at all?

Thanks
Tony

The channel that Dish receives before passing on to you is analog, not digital. Dish converts it to digital first. Maybe your LCD simply shows the artifacts of the conversion more than a regular CRT does.

Could be alot of reasons. Most of the time I find that the person has the new LCD tv that is 16:9 set to strech the picture. Also is it a larger screen, that will show more flaws than a smaller screen.

You see a 60" 16:9 LCD and a 32" 4:3 CRT get the same info from the receiver. The 60" has a much larger screen, so it has much larger pixels. Thus the 60" will look less sharpe compared to the 32".

Thanks for the replies guys, it's really helpful.

Also, do you think that I will get better picture quality if I use HD receiver with HDMI cable (broadcasting regular station)?

Thanks

CRT's of any size are more forgiving of picture anomalies than are digital displays, that's why I use a CRT projector.

My 34" Sony HD CRT has a much better PQ on SD channels than my 60" Panasonic LCD.
hahaahhaahahahah
Stand further back from it! :eureka

Oh, and from what I've seen, improper adjustment of any digital TV can really make SD look bad.
Of course, the SD Dish transmits isn't as good as you'd get watching your local station, assuming a good signal.

This whole question of TV size reminds me of getting my car repaired many years ago.
The dealer used to wash the car with a repair.
One day, he stopped. So, I asked why?
Seemed really great for customer good will.
Turned out, when you wash someone's car, they look at it closer and notice the dents and scratches that they didn't see before.
Too many customers were acusing the dealer for banging up their car.

...don't make me say it... :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)