Picture quality

dude2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Those of you who are still using standard sd receivers, has your sd picture quality gone downhill or are you still getting the good pq that dish had before i got my 622.
In other words, does having a hd receiver make the sd picture quality of the sd channels worse than if you have just normal sd receiver.

The 622 makes my mom and dads sd picture look great even on their 12 year old Magnovox. I think the pq looks even sharper than with the 625 they had before.

I agree 100%. The PQ on my Sony Wega 27" SD is 10x better than it was when it was driven by the 625 and 501 dvrs. AND thats off of tv2 coax. HD content looks good as well. Sure, its all letterbox, and it is downrezzed, but it looks very good.

The bigger the TV, the worse SD looks . The SD looks great on all of my 32" or smaller TV's, not so great on my JVC 70" . I have noticed that the picture does look better on some channels than others . Even on the same channels, the quality seems to change .

On my 32" HD Sony the SD from the sat box looks like crap, but some channels are better than others. I also feed the SD to a 31" JVC (analog only tv) and the PQ from the sat box is excellent. Alot of digital TVs just don't handle SD digital all that well. The Sony also has an SD tuner in it and the OTA SD PQ is excellent.

SD quality on HD TV's varies by manufacturer. A lot of HDTV's don't handle SD all that well, so if you notice decreased SD quality from one TV to an HDTV that could be why. If its the same TV with a different receiver, then I would assume the receiver is at fault.

Three of the top tvs that are supposed to do SD shows nicely over an hd tv are TOSHIBA. I read this a few weeks back on the Tv Predictions website. I have three Toshibas: 2 hdtv and one sd. All look great with sd and hd-except the sd one of course . I did a search 3 years ago for the best hdtv carrying my old 721 dvr with me . I checked the sd shows recorded plugged in to the hdtv using the sd video and I couldn't find any that looked that good. I went to Sears and the only tv that looked excellent to me out of all the hdtvs was a toshiba. They had a Dish 6000 receiver hooked up to all of them and they were watching a 40 year old Andy Griffith show in color and it looked great. I then looked at all channels in hd and sd. They all looked excellent. I bought my first 57 " Toshiba hdtv and a year later a 26" hdtv. This is one area you can not go cheap on. Picture quality is why you buy a hdtv in the first palce so why would you buy a tv that only looks good on HD while most channels are still in sd?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts