Piece of crap! 811 that is!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joeadt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Does anyone NOT have problems. This is bull, The 811 is a piece of crap. You have to know all these "tricks" just to get it to work. If I see "acquiring signal" one more time I am going to trash this thing. If the OTA is working, I don't dare channel surf. If you do one thing wrong, it locks up, looses channels, goes black or a number of other problems. By the time you get it working again you could miss 3 innings of a game! My neighbor had DirectTV HD hooked up and his NEVER when black or had aquiring signal, and we surfed and jumped around all afternoon watching different games. NO PROBLEM. My wife can't even enjoy watching tv with the 811 because she doesn't know all the "tricks" to make it work right.
Sorry for the harshness but I am so tired of this and have only been with Dish for 4 months.
As soon as my cable company gives me 2 way service I am out of hear. If not, I am jumping to DirectTV or Voom.

Can't wait till my year is up. this sucks.

Anyone else this mad??

I had similar problems when I was a DirecTV subscriber and so I switched to Dish (E*). ;) Life is funny like that.

Yes, there are some of us who do not have problems. I have never had to reboot. I seamlessly switch between Sat and OTA channels. All my digital local stations come in fine. My receiver has never locked up. My sound has never dropped out. I love my 811. Worth the $149 paid.
They can clone sheep, why can't they clone my 811 so everyone can be trouble free!
Tom in TX

I also have never had ONE SINGLE issue with my 811 via SAT or OTA. Only needed one reboot after a software update 2 or 3 versions ago.

charper1 said:
I also have never had ONE SINGLE issue with my 811 via SAT or OTA. Only needed one reboot after a software update 2 or 3 versions ago.

Wanna trade? ;) :D

NightRyder

Tom in TX said:
Yes, there are some of us who do not have problems. I have never had to reboot. I seamlessly switch between Sat and OTA channels. All my digital local stations come in fine. My receiver has never locked up. My sound has never dropped out. I love my 811.

charper1 said:
Um. Yeah. Me too. That's the ticket! Just ask my wife, Cameron Diaz. She'll tell ya. I swear. Really!

When I joined Dish in February my box was working perfect. Then around july my box started to have all of the problems that the first poster mentions.

I haven't trained myself not to hit the guide button when I'm in OTA, because it never used to happen but now, hit guide and the 811 has to find itself...

Also last night i was watching OTA all of the sudden everything goes black...

Did dish program this thing to work for new customers then after 5 months have a code for activating havoc

ah.... :D

joeadt said:
Does anyone NOT have problems. This is bull, The 811 is a piece of crap. You have to know all these "tricks" just to get it to work. If I see "acquiring signal" one more time I am going to trash this thing. If the OTA is working, I don't dare channel surf. If you do one thing wrong, it locks up, looses channels, goes black or a number of other problems. By the time you get it working again you could miss 3 innings of a game! My neighbor had DirectTV HD hooked up and his NEVER when black or had aquiring signal, and we surfed and jumped around all afternoon watching different games. NO PROBLEM. My wife can't even enjoy watching tv with the 811 because she doesn't know all the "tricks" to make it work right.
Sorry for the harshness but I am so tired of this and have only been with Dish for 4 months.
As soon as my cable company gives me 2 way service I am out of hear. If not, I am jumping to DirectTV or Voom.

Can't wait till my year is up. this sucks.

Anyone else this mad??

Actually not. I have seen some interesting things with the 2.80 build in terms of channel mapping. The dark video issue is also fairly new. I personally have seen it twice. I soft boot about once a week at the most. Very infrequent compared to some that seem to have to do it once a day. I don't know what the difference is. My 65 yr old grand mother has no problem using the 811, but I do have a programmable remote.

I have seen the acquiring signal bug single Dish 6000. I guarentee that you will see it again if you are viewing OTA, so based on your post you should save your self some headache and return it. This problem has been around for a while and it is in both the 6000 and the 811.

From my experience, compared to the 6000, I find the 811 more than acceptable. However, like I said above I am not having to reboot it that often. Actually, for me it is very infrequent so I very curious why the wide variation in experiences. There is a informal poll on this issue that shows some interesting result.

One thing I thought would be worth a try (Possible memory leak) would be to install a timer on that would power the unit off each night for about 30 minutes. If there was a memory leak, this would clean things up. Yes I know one should not have to do this, but it might increase the percieved reliability and would be worth a shot. Would be a interesting test for something that is having a reboot the box a lot.

My gut based on what people have posted here that there is a memory leak that is being aggreviated to different degree depending on OTA installations. Just a guess and a wild one at that.

Also, Dish has a record of releasing a box that is buggy and then producing a stable box over time.... On a positive note, in time things will improve. What you want to ultimitely do is your choice.

As to "811 is a piece of Crap", based on your experience it is. Based on other it is not.. There are people that are enjoing the 811 and are actually not having any significant issues with it. In my opinion, I would not classify it has a pile of crap base on my experience. If it was a pile of crap, it would not be in service in my Family room's TV.

With the 811, Your mileage may vary for sure, but for most it will not fall into the pile of Crap rating. Sorry to hear for your case it does, because I have been and it does suck.

I've had relatively few problems with my 811. I wouldn't put it in the "piece of crap" category at all. I've had to do one hard reset since February (when I got the 2.80 build). I've seen HD jerkiness, but then again, there wasn't a single hint of jerkiness on ESPN-HD last night during the pre-game or the entire game.

I too wish more people had fewer problems with the 811. For my $149, I've been far more pleased than annoyed by far.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am calm now. haha, I have to reboot almost every night if I surf between OTA and Sat. It's just frustrating. I have 2 other recievers, 322 and NEVER had a problem. Maybe I am being unfair calling it a piece of crap but it would seem to me I should be having a lot less problems.

Thanks to all again

Another view,

I have the ExpressVU 811 (6100) and I have not had a single critical problem with it at all. Seeing as how their firmware is based on Dishs' you'd think there'd be Dish bugs mixed with ExpressVUs' own.

I find the guides to be fast and I am using DVI with no darkness issues at all on a SONY RPTV.

No problems when switching from OTA to normal viewing or guide to OTA either. Only problem I have is the 49% bug on OTA but at least the box doesn't lock up.

Kryspy

I have found that agressive channel surfing especially between OTA and satellite agrevates the problems with the 811.

Thermal Problems?

I'm beginning to think that these 811's behave differently due to temperature variations. You may want to look at your set up and make sure you are doing everything possible to minimize heating. Do you have other components on top or underneath the 811? Is it in a closed up area?

set up

My set up has nothing on or under my 811. I have the sony Grand Wega and the stand is wide open front and rear. No heating problems that I can see.

Thanks

joeadt said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am calm now. haha, I have to reboot almost every night if I surf between OTA and Sat. It's just frustrating. I have 2 other recievers, 322 and NEVER had a problem. Maybe I am being unfair calling it a piece of crap but it would seem to me I should be having a lot less problems.

Thanks to all again

If you are having to reboot every night, I would also be frustrated and fully understand your pain. Not sure what to tell you, You might want to give the replacement route a try. Couple of questions;

1) What is your software and firmware revisions. are you running 2.80? What is your Firmware rev.

2) Is your OTA fluctuating a lot. Is it pretty steady? Are you seeing a lot of dropouts on OTA.

3) How are you using your 811. Do you do a lot of channel surfing? Do you mainly use the EPG. One thing you might want to try.. Turn off your EPG PIP and see if that improves matters.

4) To try and narrow down your problem. You might want to remote your OTA antenna for a day and see if you still see the problem.

From what I have read, some people have increased stability by doing the following.

1) Making sure the OTA signal is as good as possible. Quality antenna, stable signal. Are you doing Analog OTA or just digital?

2) Make sure you have clean power going into the unit.

3) Box swap in some cases has helped.

Good luck and I hope stability reaches your home.

Ok, I am sorry to state this but I am one of those people that is getting tired of features not working (Fav list I will admit is really the only one I would like to see fixed, they've done a good job getting the others like Dish home, though they do have some bugs left to fix), having to reboot my 811 at least every two days or I don't have a guide that tells me whats on, PPV channels that show up as channels that I am not subscribed to (there in red on the PG) mismaping of my channels (about every two days ALL of my channels get mis-mapped and I have to reset the 811, though I have to reset my receiver anyways because I get "No Info Available" in the PG), blank video with no audio and choppy video. Along with lower video quality on S-video ( it is a lot better with P280, but still needs some attention)

SW Version P280.
Bootstrap Version 1013 (it was 1010 before P280)

My box was very unstable when I got it, it was one of the first out, it was crap, so I sold it, got a JVC box from Sears, I know, same thing, but this one was alot more stable. It has become more stable with software updates. I have very little problems with it. I rate it good, but sure not great !!

Give me back the DVI PQ I had before 2.69, fix the Acquring Satellite Info leading to freeze when accessing the EPG from OTA, and fix the blank screen resulting from surfing in and out of OTA, and I'd be a happy camper. Oh, and let's get these fixed before my warranty runs out on 12/19/04. I'd like to believe these things can be fixed on my current unit or find out for sure that I need to get a replacement under warranty.

BTW, my one foray into a replacement 811 resulted in receipt of an 811 that was just as old and not as clean looking as the one I have. Forturnately I got the immediate problem on mine fixed and sent back the junk replacement unit.

My solution was simple.

It's been turned off since April. We use the 6000 instead. So my wife hasn't had the chance to complain over the lockups and bad PQ.

I keep monitoring this forum to see if it has gotten any better ;-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)