Pioneer DV-59AVi vs. Toshiba HD-AX1 upconversion

emtownsend

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Post Falls, ID
I would like to get the new Toshiba HD-AX1 but already use, and love, my Pioneer DV-59AVi. Would the Toshiba give me an equally stunning SD upconverted picture as my Pioneer?
I use 720p via HDMI to my Sanyo Z3.

I figure I could sell the Pioneer and offset the cost of the Toshiba if the standard DVD playback is still going to be top notch.

Thank you!

Got one!

Thanks for the reply. I've been researching further and folks all seem to say the SD upconversion is very good.
I was able to pick up a "clearance item" HD-XA1 from Vanns.com for $599 plus a 3 year warranty for another $29 all shipped free two-day! I could not pass it up.
I emailed them on the condition, etc., and they said it is totally as new and has full manufacturer warranty and a 7 day return policy if I find it lacking in some way.

I think I got a good deal! :D

Congratulation! Make sure to update the firmware when you get it. The new firmware is a huge improvement!
I don't have another upconverting player to compare with, but I do like what I see with HD-A1!

I dunno

emtownsend said:
I would like to get the new Toshiba HD-AX1 but already use, and love, my Pioneer DV-59AVi. Would the Toshiba give me an equally stunning SD upconverted picture as my Pioneer?
I use 720p via HDMI to my Sanyo Z3.

I figure I could sell the Pioneer and offset the cost of the Toshiba if the standard DVD playback is still going to be top notch.

Thank you!

I am pretty impressed with the upconversion on my 59i...and there is just so far upconversion will (can) go).

Plz let us know? STILL FENCE SITTING...Using ice to keep buns cool!!:D
Jeff

emtownsend said:
Thanks for the reply. I've been researching further and folks all seem to say the SD upconversion is very good.
I was able to pick up a "clearance item" HD-XA1 from Vanns.com for $599 plus a 3 year warranty for another $29 all shipped free two-day! I could not pass it up.
I emailed them on the condition, etc., and they said it is totally as new and has full manufacturer warranty and a 7 day return policy if I find it lacking in some way.

I think I got a good deal! :D

Great deal, and an ever greater player.

-Robert

Thanks! I can't wait to get it. FedEx is supposed to have it to my house by tomorrow. I will definately post when I can compare the two players (which should be right away!).

Arrived!

Well, my player arrived one day early! :D
I went right out to Best Buy and got "Million Dollar Baby".
Right away I could see improvements over SD DVD (duh). But, more importantly, my wife could see the quality improvements.
The black levels were noise free, the colors were both vibrant and smooth. What amazed me was the clarity of the "everyday" scenes. As the camera panned around, I could read all the signs on the walls, see very small details, etc...
I need to compare SD of both the Pioneer and the Toshiba next...
But, so far I love this quality!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts