PIP with TivoDVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

butchd5

Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
I just bought a RCA DVR80 DirecTV DVR from BB and will have it installed later this week. My sat is a triple DNB unit. I have a non-digital TV and it does not have PIP (big mistake!). Can I use the two cable feed as a PIP? If so, how do I do it? Thanks

Tivo does not have built in PIP as the UltimateTV units did, I have thought this to be a downfall. The only way to do PIP with TiVo that I know is to use both the RCA outputs. I was thinking of doing this but I do not want to downgrade from S-Video to RCA ...

A DirecTivo can only output one tuner's feed at a time. Your TV having or not having PIP has nothing to do with PIP on satellite or digital cable. If you use both RCA outputs then you get the same channel or program on both outputs. There is no way to get PIP from a DirecTivo, inless you get two units (or add another cheapo receiver, but only if your TV has exerternally tuned PIP), thus having 2 outputs tuned to two different channels.

Thanks for your help. The Best Buy clerk said I could do that but he is also the guy that said I would get DD5.1 on a SD tv from the regular networks (CBS, etc.) D* said I get DD 5.1 only on certain premium channels or PPVs in Letterbox format. It is my understanding the networks do not broadcast DD5.1 unless it is in HD.

The Scientific Atlanta units that cable companies use have this but it's a rather poor feature in their implementation. I find, with Tivo, that I end up using it differently. Instead of trying to watch two shows at once, I switch between them. I watch program A on tuner 1 until a commercial break, then pause it. I then switch to the other tuner and watch it til a commercial break, then pause, switch tuners and unpause.

This is much more useful for watching two games at the same time, since you get to see all of each game without being distracted.

With the SA units, you have to use PIP to change tuners, which is ludicrous.

Yeah I actually tried this last night and it does in fact output the same signal from all outputs. That is kind of stupid but I wanted to apologize for any misdirection.

butchd5 said:
Thanks for your help. The Best Buy clerk said I could do that but he is also the guy that said I would get DD5.1 on a SD tv from the regular networks (CBS, etc.) D* said I get DD 5.1 only on certain premium channels or PPVs in Letterbox format. It is my understanding the networks do not broadcast DD5.1 unless it is in HD.
the Attack of the Misinformed Best Buy Clerk. This sequal will never go out of style. Good thing you checked with us first dude. :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts